Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy First Birthday, Cation Designs!

DIY felt birthday cake pincushion cover

It's been a year since I first started blogging here at Cation Designs about my various projects, mostly sewing-related, with some random crafts, geekery, and scattered thoughts here and there. It all began with Me Made June 2011 (thank you, Zoe, for the impetus!), and ever since then I've been hooked on blogging! I love the experience of recording what I've been creating, and you all are such an encouraging and inspiring community. I'm so grateful to you all for making my first year of blogging so much more exciting and wonderful than I could ever have dreamed. So in true geeky hobbit spirit, Cation Designs is celebrating its first birthday by giving you some mathom: my very first printable sewing pattern!

Raglan Sleeve Swing Top Pattern
Raglan Sleeve Swing Top Instructions

Now, mind, I've never tried anything like this before, so apologies beforehand if this doesn't work, or it's not in your size (I don't know how to grade patterns just yet, but this top is pretty forgiving), or you actually try making it from some treasured fabric and end up hating the finished garment. Disclaimers over with, here's what it looks like:

Free raglan sleeve swing top printable pattern
With a belt:
Free raglan sleeve swing top printable pattern belted

And as a special bonus...
Free raglan sleeve swing top printable pattern downton abbey blouse
Does that look familiar?
Downton Abbey's Sybil and Edith Crawley in the same blouse
That's right! It works pretty well as a modern reproduction of Sybil and Edith's blouse in Downton Abbey! [Update: For those who wanted to know more about my scalloped skirt that goes with the blouse, check out my write-up of it here.]

Here are the "official" specs:
Description: Loose, pull-over swing top with wide neck and wide raglan sleeves
Recommended Fabric: 1.5 yards of 54-60”/2 yards of 45” lightweight, drapey fabrics, such as rayon, silk crepe, georgette, or chiffon. I made mine with a soft and buttery dark blue floral print rayon.
Finished Measurements: Bust 36.5”, Hips 44”, Neckline 32"
It should fit BurdaStyle Sizes 34-38, Big 4 Pattern Companies Sizes 8-12, RTW Clothing Sizes 2-6

I originally made this because I adore the wide-necked top look, but could never find the perfect balance between wide-enough-for-the-ballerina-look and not-falling-off-my-shoulders in RTW blouses. That said, I adjusted the width of the neckline for my own super-wide shoulders, so you may need to adjust it to fit your own shoulders (or just use it as an off-the-shoulder top). I also wanted it to have a loose, comfy feel while still looking somewhat put together, kind of like those oversized dolman sleeve tops that are so popular now (Anthro versions, some other versions).

It's a really simple top to make, not having any buttons or zippers or even fiddly hooks and eyes to sew, nor sleeves to set in (but it's still very easy to move around in, even without gussets or anything like that); the trickiest part is probably the self-fabric bias tape, but even that is easier than it sounds. Seriously, I only started making self-fabric bias tape this month, and I've been wondering why I was so afraid of it for so long.

Anyway, if you do sew this up, please let me know/send pictures! I'd love to know if this even works for other people. And again, thank you to all of you for following me in my creative endeavors. I'm still slightly shocked (and think I always will be) that strangers would want to read my ramblings. And in case swing tops or novice patterns aren't your thing, stick around, because I'm going to give away some more mathom (in a more tangible sense) on Monday!

As for Walnut's cake, well, it's actually a lie. I made it from felt and pipe cleaners as a dust cover for my magnetic pincushion.

Cats don't know what to do with birthday cake.

46 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the accomplishment. Not many people make it one year! Although I'm a newbie to your blog, I've really enjoyed reading and seeing your various projects. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just pinned and tweeted it. Love it! Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know that I been looking for the right raglan sleeve shirt pattern!?!
    Happy Birthday to your blog, and thank you for the design! I've enjoyed that you share your thoughts on costumes and regular apparel. :)

    Here's to year 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! That's a beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE! Do you think it would be easy to size up for those of us with, um, ample chest areas? I love this, Cindy, thank you for your endless generosity.

    Walnut seems quite perturbed by this treat he cannot eat, I must say.

    Happy one year-blogaversery!

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blog birthday! I love Walnut's confused expression in those photos, he's kind of like, "But...but?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh. my. GAH. happy birthday to US! i just picked up some yardage at levine's on a whim, i now know its destiny.

    (walnut + cake = perfection.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT'S SO CUTE! Especially with the Edwardian skirt. Great idea... and just the right size ;).

    Now if only I had some drapy fabric...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, and happy birthday and all that stuff. ;)

      Delete
  9. That shirt looks amazing with your skirt! I may have to steal that look *shifty eyes*... Also, the last picture of Walnut is so cute! He's so adorable!! Happy blog birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy first blog-birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walnut is much better behaved than my dogs, they would have the "cake" torn to shreds in seconds. They feel any item in the house is theirs to destroy. As it happens, they are right.

    Happy blog birthday!

    PS-Your top and your skirt are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blogging birthday! I love your blog and I understand it being a little weird to think that strangers want to read what you write because I feel the same way about mine. =)

    I love your blouse - especially with your skirt! It's retro without being too costumey.

    And your pin-magnet cover is awesome! (I have the same dark blue magnet and a light blue one myself.) I might just have to make myself one of those cake-covers, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, love the color on this! Downloading now thought it may take a while to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog Birthday. Your blog is wonderful and it is such a joy to read. I have tried out your maxi dress, but then winter came so I'll wait with the hemming until spring. I have saved a copy of the top and hope to try it in spring as well.

    Thank you for being such a great source of inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday!!!!! And thanks for sharing this great pattern, I love it. I download my copy so I´m going to sew a version.
    Really cute, thank you.
    Maider

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I love a party with cats- they bring a special air of protocol to an event. I love your Downton homage-it's too lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 1st Birthday Cation Designs!!!! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading ur blog - one of eye first few blogs I started obsessively following when I joins blog world in October last year. Thank u for sharing everything! Love ur work Cindy!!!! Keep it up!
    Love Nee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your top is very cute. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, happy blogabirthary! Thanks for the cool top and for all your ramblings, they're the most entertainiformitive ramblings around! (okay, I'm some kind of word coinasaurus right now.) Also, I think that Walnut is just angry that the adorable fake cake is preventing him from getting to those tasty and fun pins!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday Cation Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats! So glad I found you via Oona.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty top,who wouldn't love it!Thanks for sharing!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday, Cation Designs! Your blog has provided me with fantastic reading material and beautiful pictures this past year! I love your work and I love how your creations have become more and more you as the months have passed. I also really appreciate the honesty and humor that is always present in each blog post. You're refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday!! You've done so well with the blog, you should be very proud! Gorgeous top! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday to your blog! I have just found it today, and love it. You are a woman after my own heart -- Crafty Chemistry teacher! (Though I also teach Biology and AP Biology.) I will be following from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy blogoversary, and thank you very much for sharing your pattern. I've been reading (and enjoying so very much) you blog from across the Atlantic for a couple of months. I never commented, but now is the time. I love reading you, it's funny, inspiring, motivationnal, and what not. Please keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy blog birthday! May your next year bring even more happiness and success your way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy BLOGIVERSARY!!!! YAY! I just love reading your blog and am so glad you decided to do it! I cannot wait to meet up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello! I read about your blog on Craft Gossip and I really like your website. The blouse is adorable, but it's the skirt you're wearing that has my attention. Is it from a pattern? It really sets the blouse off very nicely. Well done. As for the blouse, I'm certainly going to give it a go. Just yesterday I read a tutorial on the rounded collar for a blouse that I'm wanting to try and I see that it will go very nicely with your pattern.

    I'd love to know the name of the pattern for your skirt. Happy birthday and congratulations on your blog success.

    Sincerely,

    Debbie...(O:
    ><>

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy First Birthday! I can't wait wait to give that blouse a try. It looks beautiful.
    Love the cake too. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  31. HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!!! Your shirt is GORGEOUS!! i absolutely love it with everything you've paired it with. That print is just fabulous - I think I may need one of my own in my closet! Thank you thank you for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. happy anniversary, cindy! i definitely feel that you add a wonderful voice to the blogosphere and like we are friends that just haven't met yet. keep up the wonderful work and keep sharing it with us, your adoring fans.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a pretty top,who wouldn't love it!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello from Paris ! i'm happy to find endly the top i dreamed to sew !!! thank you very much! it will be my first "raglansleeves top" !! i look forward to sharing the picture of my top with you .
    Have nice summer.Best regards
    corinne

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh, lovely! Thank you so much for this. Found you via Pinterest. I've been looking for a raglan-sleeved top pattern for ages. Now to find some lovely fabric...
    thanks again

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern! I have been looking for this style for a couple of weeks with no luck. It's a beautiful blouse and I hope I can do it some justice (I'm a little bit newby). I plan to try it out as my next project - just got the kitties lined up and taped together. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much for this pattern! I've been looking for a pattern like this for a while, and yesterday I tried it out on a 2 euro piece of fabric, see the result here http://moramora.weebly.com/1/post/2013/05/mothers-day.html. I adjusted the neckline by adding ruffles, using another blouse as an example. I'm quite happy with the result and will definitly try it on a more expensive silk fabric..! I just discovered your blog and I LOVE your DIY antropologie projects... will start working on the Dulcie dress soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just found you blouse today. It's perfect and so versatile. I'm quite new to sewing, hope I do it justice. Happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the kitty & have three of my own that just love to lie on my sewing when they want my attention!
    Also a big fan of Downton Abbey so thank you so much for your pattern

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love love love your skirt!! Did you make it? I would love to see a pattern for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. More details here: http://cationdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/03/1912-project-e0200-skirt-finished.html

      Delete
  41. I love your pattern but I need larger one. Can you help me? How can I enlarge your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a pro at pattern grading by any means, but there are lots of tutorials online about it. Here is an easy (but less precise) way: http://blog.megannielsen.com/2011/10/easy-pattern-grading-the-quick-and-dirty-method/

      And this is more complicated: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4424/quick-reference-for-cut-and-spread-pattern-grading

      Delete
    2. This the best tutorial I have found yet on grading patterns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NMIIFLuX5M although I have not yet used this method.

      Delete
  42. merci pour ce joli modèle offert en partage
    et belle année

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.