Monday, August 29, 2011

Versatile Blogger Award!


Last week, in the midst of the moving chaos, I got a lovely little note from June of Creations by June saying that she had nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. It totally made my day, because I had already been thinking about how versatile all over the place my blog is. It started when I read the fabulous Reese Dixon's introspective post about how it is recommended that bloggers narrow their topics so as to draw a specific audience. Well, I ended up deciding that my interests are too varied, and this blog is meant for me to have an accurate chronicle of all my projects. So it was surprising and unexpected to be recognized by a stranger for my haphazard efforts; thank you, June!

Anyway, here are the rules:
  • Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post
  • Share 7 things about yourself
  • Pass this award on to recently discovered blogs
Here are seven random things about me:
  1. I am a late-blooming cat lady. We never had cats growing up, and in fact a neighbor cat ate my beloved parakeet when I was in elementary school. But a trip to the SPCA four years ago resulted in a spontaneous kitten adoption, and now three of the loves of my life are Fenxi, Gummy, and Walnut. Yes, the cats have their own Facebook pages.
  2. I never thought I would love chemistry as much as I do now. When I was younger my dad tried to get me interested (he's got a chemical engineering Ph.D), but I ended up skipping all my AP Chem classes in high school and going to the mall instead. Somehow I landed a high school chemistry teaching job and discovered that I love how beautifully it all works. 
  3. Even though I love science, I hate math. I am aware that the two go hand in hand, but instead I love science...and reading and poetry and music and art.
  4. I also love reading about doomed expeditions. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher was concerned that I was so into the Donner Party. Well, Mr. V, now it's also all about the 1996 Mt. Everest expedition, the Scott Antarctic expedition, and pretty much every Jack London short story ever. Something about the combination of freezing temperatures and starvation and man vs. wild, I guess?
  5. I hate bananas (and everything banana-flavored, no matter how subtle), refuse to drink smoothies that have bananas in them, and refuse to kiss my husband after he's eaten a banana, but LOVE banana bread
  6. As I realized when I was packing, I actually have a wardrobe of dress-up clothes. I think normal people are supposed to have a work wardrobe and a casual wardrobe, and maybe a going-to-weddings-and-other-formal-occasions wardrobe, but I also have way too many impractical fancy skirts and dramatic capes and other sci-fi/fantasy accessories.
  7. I never know what to do in social situations. I was always so immersed in books when I was younger, I apparently missed the entire part of childhood where you learn to interact with others. It's only recently, through careful observation of my most socially apt friends and then analysis for common actions and statements, that I've even begun to try mimicking proper social behavior. When to go in for hugs, the types of things you're supposed to say when you first meet people, what not to say to people unless you know them super well...these things were always a mystery to me. Thankfully, my husband is excellent at winning other over, so I let him handle most of the socializing.
Here are some blogs that I've recently begun following:

2 comments:

  1. I think you do quite well in social situations:) You are one of the loveliest human beings that I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee, this was such a wonderful list! I love banana bread too, but I also love bananas. Fake banana flavour however? Offensive. Wrong. Unnatural. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.