|Ignore the lackluster hair. I didn't feel like trying an Edwardian updo.|
Because the fabric is so dark, though, I was able to wear one of my tiered, ruffly bohemian skirts underneath as a faux petticoat. It worked nicely to keep the skirt from sticking to me, although the whole outfit got quite warm! I guess it would've been fine for England, but it was oh, 80 degrees out while I was quickly snapping these photos. In the process of walking around, I discovered that the inner waistband really doesn't do much to hold up the skirt; it tends to slide down in the back and cause awkward bunching over my butt. That might just be due to my swayback, though.
|Bunching! Also, I cut my left side piece wrong side out. I didn't notice until too late, |
since I was working on this at night, but it looks really obvious here. Yuck.
|Trying my best to get the same angle as the pattern drawing.|
Fabric: dark blue, 100% cotton, thick, attracts Walnut's hair like no other. I need a lady's maid just to follow me with a lint roller.
Notions: 14 black plastic La Mode buttons, narrow black bias tape, snaps, hook and eye
Techniques used: I don't know that I had a technique for the bias binding, so much as I just manhandled it into place...I did like the canvas bias strip interfacing on the waistband, though! Also, my first time catch-stitching.
Hours: Eight. Pretty good, considering.
Will you make this again? Despite all my issues, I actually really like this pattern! I think that without the scallops, it'll make the perfect skirt for this gown (or even this utilitarian skirt) of Lady Mary's. Especially now that I've gotten it sized to mostly fit me.
Total cost: $13. One dollar for each scallop? The fabric only cost me $3, but the buttons and bias tape cost me $10! That seems unfair.
Final thoughts: Not bad, for my first century-old pattern? I don't even know what to think about it. My husband didn't either, opting out of making any dangerous comments by saying that he didn't know anything about fashions from this era. I don't know when I would ever wear this particular combination of top+skirt, but I feel like I should have a parasol or something. Also, I can't wait for my Astorias to come so that I can at least have proper shoes!
|Black round-toed wedges really don't cut it. I suppose I should invest in some black stockings, too.|
Update: VPLL Checklist!
- Pattern Name: #E0200, Scalloped skirt
- Sewer’s Skill Level: Intermediate (~2 years of serious sewing under my belt)
- Pattern Rating: I like the scallop detail and it does look fantastic with the trim and buttons, but I think the waistband facing could use some work to get it to hug above the waist properly. Still, that's pretty minor and all my lines matched up and everything. I give it a 4.5/5.
- What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why? I think a beginner would be just fine on this pattern. There aren't many pieces and most of the seams are straight lines. Binding the scallops was trickier, but not impossible if you're willing to take the time to pin and iron.
- Were the instructions easy to follow? If not, what needs to be changed? The pattern instructions were generally easy to figure out, although I did read them a few times through just to make sure I knew what to do. I do wish that it was a little more clear on how to finish up the opening, though. Markings for where to put snaps/hooks and eyes would be helpful, but not necessary.
- How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? When I initially measured the pattern, it seemed that it would end up with a final measurement of a 36" waist. I sized mine down accordingly (see construction post for details on how I did so). I expected there to be a little more "hourglass" shaping to help the dress stay above the natural waist, but instead it was more of a pyramid. If I hadn't been trying to make up the pattern as is, I would have changed up the facing pattern to give it more structure and tapered toward the bottom. That said, I was also wearing this without a corset because it didn't seem entirely necessary. I think with those minor changes it actually would be possible to wear this skirt uncorsetted.
- Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Were they fit or design alterations? Again, see my notes on sizing down the pattern so it would fit me in the waist. I also opted not to stitch the scalloped edge down in a straight line, as I felt that would distract from the scallops. Instead, I stitched it down closely following the actual scallop line, which not only was more subtle, but also meant I didn't need to do anything to secure the scallop points. I also had to fold up one of the scallops when hemming so that my skirt ended up at instep-length.
- Other notes: A decent pattern, and a good starting point for exploring vintage patterns as it was pretty simple. The scallop trim is just enough of a design interest, but not too hard to actually sew. The overall effect is quite nice, and I imagine it would be lovely in a drape-y wool, although this cotton worked out surprisingly well, considering.