Thursday, March 1, 2012

Another Blank Canvas Tee Hack

I liked this pattern so much, I had to make another one. Besides, I still had leftover green and black fabrics, so in the interest of using it up before Walnut could get hair all over it, I tried a different hack. I was going for a sweetheart neckline, kind of like the Macaron Dress from Colette Patterns, but due to the sizing of the pattern, it didn't quite work out. That's okay, though, because I still like my resulting top just fine!

Here's what my hacked pattern pieces looked like. You'll need to mentally add seam allowance for the green and black pieces.
With another three inch extension for length.

Here's the back of the top, tucked into the skirt...
the green part ended up being lower than I expected. Oops. 

I'm not going to bother with my usual sewing summary, since it's pretty much the same as the previous one, but just a little less green fabric and a little more black. Also, hemming this mesh was a bit of a nightmare.


In a fit of non-procrastination, I also made up the black skirt that I was promising myself. I originally wanted a full circle skirt, but it turns out that I only had enough for a half-circle skirt. To that end, I decided to test out one of my vintage patterns, Simplicity 8349 A, from 1969. It's a supposedly above the knee bias cut skirt, with a side zipper. I was initially concerned, since my pattern is meant for a 24" waist, which I am definitely not! But it seems that even back then, considerable ease was built into the garments, because mine fit just fine without any modifications. I made View 3, and since I used jersey, I didn't bother hemming it. It's a bit on the long side, but I kind of like this 1930s length.

Definitely not above the knee, even if I did do a two-inch hem like the pattern called for.

With my Jason Wu knock-off tee, it reminds me a bit of this ensemble from Revamp Vintage, but updated. And much more casual materials. And much cheaper.

I also added another rectangle to the tie on the top to get the bow look.


Swish! Swish!
Summary: 
Fabric: 1.25 yards 60" black cotton-poly blend knit.
Notions: zipper, 2 hook-and-eye pairs, interfacing for the waistband
Hours: 1.5...easy peasy, especially with no seam finishing. Yay for knits!
Netflix queue: Switching it up since I'm tired of similarities between Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton (servants stealing! issues with the cook! rebellious daughter! pregnant housemaids! dalliances while your spouse is busy! maids who aren't content with service but want more!)...what could be more different than documentaries like Slave Ship Mutiny and Lost in the Amazon?
Will you make this again? Maybe. I like the shape and its movement a lot, and I might want a shorter version in a nice wool plaid.
Total cost: $4 with the zipper, fabric originally $2 from SAS Fabrics in Tucson three years ago
Final thoughts: Love the bias skimming my hips, the very practical, goes-with-everything black, and how easy it is to wash. I might still chop off a few inches and hem it, but I'm undecided.

I know the Sew Weekly theme is supposed to be a refashion, but honestly, the sleeveless top I had set aside for it is totally uninspiring. It just needs to be taken in at the sides, but there's bias binding around the armhole that I don't feel like dealing with. Does refashioning a pattern count?

11 comments:

  1. Oooh! I LOVE your new top and skirt! They're fantastic! You look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this top, working on something very similar myself right now! that look of pairing sheer with color is just a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both shirts and with the skirt look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great outfits! I have a bunch of tshirts in this style that I made, but I always think they look weird with skirts, maybe I just need a different skirt shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...it's just as cute as the first one! And I love, love, love that skirt! Please don't hem it - the length it is at is so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so cool! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, so cute! I wish I had a sheer knit, I'd totally try my own version. Good job on the skirt, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both of your shirts - they are so soft and elegant and perfect for dressing up or dressing down. The black and soft mint green look stunning together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its wonderful outfits. I like both shirts and with the skirt look amazing. Its colour is cool and peaceful to mind. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blouse is beautiful, chic and Legante.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these looks!! That color combo looks great with your skin!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.