|My changes to the pattern, shown in red on the layout diagram.|
Sewing the pattern pieces together was easy; the difficult part for me was the binding on the scalloped edge. Is there a nice way to do all those sharp corners? I just stretched and folded as I went, but it looks pretty wonky. I also found the directions on how to attach the scalloped edge to the rest of the skirt really confusing. Maybe I'm just too used to instructions with diagrams? Except that I don't even use the diagrams half the time. Anyway, I figured that a straight line up the side would look weird, and I was pretty sure that I wasn't supposed to do fourteen snaps, so I ended up topstitching the scallops up to the designated line. The buttons I used are most decidedly non-1912, being plastic and all, but they were the best combination of cheap+black+not too horrible.
|They don't look as plasticky as some of the others, I promise!|
|I left the top three scallops open and sewed snaps to the tip of each scallop. To close the top, I sewed in a hook and bar with an additional snap to the side. Also, I only own light pink seam binding.|
The inner waistband calls for a canvas bias strip as interfacing; I was so tempted to just use iron-on interfacing, but in the end I decided that I should do it right. Thankfully, there was a large piece of floral home-dec canvas in my bag of donated fabrics (along with the red corduroy I used for my corset). It does make the waistband nicely sturdy. Unfortunately, the shape of it doesn't help much with getting the skirt to stay above my natural waist.
|This is what the wrong side of the facing looked like before I flipped it down and tacked it to my seam allowances. I still have a bunch of that fabric left. I thought about making it into another bag, but it screams "mom with a diaper bag" to me.|
As for the hem, at first I wanted a floor length skirt, but besides being impractical, it also seems to be inaccurate. After some consultation with pictures from 1912, the ladies at the 1912 project Facebook group, and several screenshots of Season 1 of Downton Abbey (yes, yes, I know, TV is a horrible place to do research), I decided to hem the skirt to brush the top of my instep. In order to do so, I ended up needing to eliminate one of the scallops, so now I have 13 scallops instead of 14. Were Edwardians superstitious about the number 13? Anyway, my hem is a little over three inches deep. I folded the top edge over, stitched it on machine, and then catch-stitched it to the skirt. It was my very first time doing a hem by hand (thanks to this helpful video!), not to mention trying to make it show as little as possible on the right side! I think I did pretty well, considering, and I'll even confess that it was a relaxing experience. I think I'll be doing this on all my skirt hems from now on, unless they're circle skirts. Thankfully, the final circumference of the skirt was only 62" and catch-stitches are quite ground-covering.
|Weee! So pretty! Also, it is ridiculously hard to photograph and then edit dark blue fabric so that you can see any detail.|
|On the other side: almost invisible!|
Diagrams of the skirt courtesy of the Vintage Pattern Lending Library's page about the skirt. Pictures of me wearing this skirt will be posted tomorrow, assuming my husband gets home today while it's still light out!