Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Science-y Details


Since I already shared a few wedding photos yesterday, and I've mentioned before how I designed and printed my own wedding invitations and other paper goods, I thought I'd share a few more pictures of the other science-y aspects of our wedding. Little did you all know, I originally started this blog to chronicle my DIY wedding projects, but never wrote more than a few drafts. Then when I started sewing, I just deleted those drafts and kept the title and profile for my sewing blog. Unfortunately, some of it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense anymore, considering the usual topics here at Cation Designs, so I'll probably be changing that as soon as Walnut, Fenxi, and Gummy all stop hissing and growling at each other and I can take my eye off them.

When my husband and I were planning the wedding, we were going through a phase of life where we'd been attending upwards of six weddings a year for the previous few years. We were pretty thoroughly sick of letterpress birds-and-flowers invitations, Canon in D, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, the unity candle lighting, and reading of 1 Corinthians 13. So we decided to put our own spin on our wedding -- SCIENCE. It was all over our wedding stationary, and it crept into our decor:

Our card box, guestbook pencils, and edible favors (madeleines and gourmet sea salt in tiny flasks).

And because I couldn't resist, I snuck in a little chemistry lesson into our pastor's script (to be fair, he used to be a middle school science teacher, so it wasn't entirely weird for him). Instead of the standard the-ring-is-a-circle-it-has-no-end-just-like-your-love speech, he said, "These rings are made of precious metal, noteworthy for being on the positive end of the Electromotive Force Series. These metals do not lose their electrons easily, and are therefore resistant to corrosion. It is an ideal symbol of your love for each other, and a reminder of the promises you have made to each other today." And instead of a unity candle or sand, we had...


Yes, that's right, a unity precipitate. As our pastor explained, "If you look behind me, you will see two flasks of chemicals. Cindy, the flask of sodium phosphate represents your life up to this moment, separate and distinct from Eric's. Eric, this flask of copper sulfate represents your life up to this moment, separate and distinct from Cindy's. Marriage is the joining of two lives into one. This is what God meant when He said: 'On this account, a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and the two shall be one flesh.' From now on your thoughts shall be for each other rather than for your individual selves. Your plans shall be mutual, your joys and sorrows shall be shared alike. As you pour these solutions together, they will form an insoluble copper phosphate suspension. This is an irreversible precipitation reaction, and as such represents the union of your lives, surrounded by God’s love." My students who were at the ceremony loved it, but also confessed to inward groaning that I somehow managed to put together an educational wedding. A couple of smart-alecks also pointed out that I wasn't wearing goggles or gloves...

And as a final touch, we had to work cats in, somehow...hence our Simon's Cat place cards. These were a beast to cut out the week before the wedding, but it was so worth it (and totally hilarious) to see them all lined up, begging for food.

Again, all photographs courtesy of The Youngrens!

Anyway, sorry for the little detour into wedding-land, but hey, it's June, right? Prime wedding month, according to my wedding photographer friends. I promise I'll have some actual sewing projects to share soon! In the meantime, I'm still trying to wrestle my mom's cranky old Kenmore into submission. Gosh, I miss my machine.

25 comments:

  1. I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    I went with some geek elements for the ceremony (Princes Bride, LLAP & Forces being with us ;) - plus Han & Leia amigurumi cake toppers! And our unity ceremony was leaves into water (for rebirth and all that), and each of our guests participated to symbolize community. I have a tear just thinking of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Princess Bride and SW cake toppers! That sounds awesome.

      Delete
  2. So cute!!!! You tooo are an adorable couple, perfect for eachother, I love when I see that in a couple. xxx

    ps. do u have a pic of the dress u made that is in the same fabric as mine?? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're pretty good together, too ;)

      That dress was done pre-blog, so I think the only picture I have is from my fake OWOP post...it should be under New Look 6723.

      Delete
    2. That dress is so pretty!!!!!! I love it!! I SWEAR I have seen more photos of that dress on ur blog!!! When I first started following your blog, I am 97% positive that I saw a blog post that featured more photos of the dress!
      So gorgeous!!!! Lovely fabric ;)

      Delete
  3. Too cool! Science at a wedding, beats Corinthians every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I'm not against 1 Cor, but it has gotten really, really, really overdone at weddings! And not enough weddings have science in them!

      Delete
  4. Wow this is so original, you made some amazing things! I love the mixing of chemicals thing, it's such a good idea and so personal! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had so much fun personalizing all the things!

      Delete
  5. I love your sciency details! My husband and I made our invitations too (our wedding was 10 years ago - it was a lot more difficult to do back then!) and I spent a lot of time folding and taping things together.

    Congratulations on your 2 years - may you be just as happy for infinitely more! You are such a cute couple in the pictures you've posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so grateful for all the resources I found online when I was planning my wedding; I can't even imagine doing it before wedding blogs and sites were huge! Props to you for DIYing it before DIY was a thing!

      Delete
  6. I love all your wedding post but this is beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How brilliant, I love it all! I agree, it's so much more meaningful to personalize the ceremony, and way more fun (and educational in your case) for the guests too. What a fun wedding! I had a great time making all my wedding stuff too... I kinda wish we could have a wedding every 5 years or so just for the fun DIY stuff - clearly I should start throwing big theme parties or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally am for the wedding every five years idea! My solution to that is helping my friends plan theirs -- it's like living vicariously through them ;) I would love to throw huge theme parties, except that I'd feel a little silly without a good reason...

      Delete
  8. That is all adorable, but the chemical reaction takes the cake! Now I want a science-themed wedding. /sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like that part :) Just throw a science-themed party, per aleah's suggestion! Or a Star Wars one!

      Delete
  9. A unity Precipitate! Awe-Some!!! That's the kind of great thing that makes people remember certain weddings. Congratulations on 2 years...you two are adorable together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think thats what weddings should be about. The little details that make it you! It is your big day after all! I am attending 5 weddings this year and only a couple have chosen to add these special details that people dont only interpret as "wedding appropriate" but also as appropriate for the couple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is adorable! if i ever get married, i want a themed/geeky wedding as well (:
    just discovered your blog today (thru foursquarewalls) and it's so awesome to see a fellow geek into sewing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interested in doing your unity ceremony at my wedding. Where did you get your chemicals from?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.