Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Leonora Knows

My husband and I went to the Treasure Island Flea this last weekend. I was all prepared to put into practice Liz's tips, but honestly, it was just kind of ho-hum and there wasn't much I found even worth asking about. It felt a little bit like Regretsy turned into a real live market, actually, with quite a few overpriced you-just-found-this-in-your-grandma's-garage-didn't-you type items. I was able to find this antique anatomy print for my sister, though:

It's her picture.

Afterwards, we continued our trip across the bridge and stopped in at the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse, where I've previously found pretty decent vintage patterns. This time, I'm pretty sure that someone had recently gone through the piles already, because all that was left was 80s and 90s dropped-waist, shoulder-padded monstrosities. I did, however, pick up enough vintage seam binding to last for a while, as well as this questionable pants pattern:



I don't know anything about this pattern company, nor do there seem to be any examples online of people making pants from this pattern, but I had to get it because THIS:

Oh. My. Goodness. Does Leonora know, or does Leonora know???

So yeah, I bought a dubious pattern (granted, it was only $0.20), just because there was a cat behaving characteristically on the pattern envelope. I'm pretty sure that places me squarely in the crazy cat lady category. Anyway, if I find some suitable fabric for cheap, I might actually give this pattern a try, although I'm still not sure about this particular style. In the meantime, have more Walnut, taking advantage of the amazing weather and the west-facing windows at my parents' house.

Can't believe I caught him at this perfect moment while he was grooming himself!

Seriously, Mom? Pictures of me taking a bath? What am I, a small human being?

Also, thank you all for your wonderful comments about my maxi dress! I'm blushing profusely. And I promise, my next sewing project involves more than four seams.

14 comments:

  1. If nothing else, you should at least frame & hang the pattern picture in your sewing space! Old patterns have such interesting art. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that's a thought to consider...the instruction booklet inside has the same illustration so it's definitely a possibility!

      Delete
  2. It's definitely only crazy cat lady territory if you put it behind glass, not that that's a bad thing (wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends said recently that if she didn't know me IRL and knew that I had real live friends and a life, she would be concerned about me and my crazy cat lady tendencies...

      Delete
  3. Oh that definitely puts you in the crazy cat category but I love it! Who cares about the pattern... there's not much to fret about. It was only 0.20 cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it silly that even though it was so cheap, I want the pattern to be worth paying money for? I guess I'll find out!

      Delete
  4. Look at you already taking advantage of the Bay Area for vintage sewing supplies. I definitely say try the pattern out. It claims a lot of good things about fitting. Even if the style ends up being not your thing, you could still learn quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am totally taking advantage of being back in the Bay Area! I think I will have to test the pattern to see if all its claims are true.

      Delete
  5. I think you have to live with at least 3 cats before you move into crazy cat lady subtitle. Oh wait......

    Find an unwanted, unloved scrap of fabric and try the pants out...treat it as a learning experience. If the muslin turns out you can try it in real fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I guess I'm just a crazy cat lady for the summer, then! Although I think one would also have to take into account the ratio of cats:humans.

      I just found a piece of suiting that has tears in it that I might try to turn into *gasp* formal shorts!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, those pants are questionable. Cats, however, never are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true. Cats should never be questioned.

      Delete
  7. Crazy cat ladies aren't married. You escaped that future! :D I think you should try the pants. You look pretty amazing in everything anyway, so even if the pants are wonky, they'll be fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite a vote of confidence, Jessica! I will have to give it a try, especially since I've found some fabric.

      So glad to have escaped the CCL title...I'll have to let my husband know that he is the only thing standing between me and CCL-hood.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.