Having finished my very involved faire garb, I needed something quick and easy to ease me back into sewing. I fished out this striped turquoise jersey from the stash, and inspired by Steph of 3hourspast's February hack of the Blank Canvas Tee, I made this chevron tee. I didn't think I could pull off the cutout in the front, so I opted to just use the back view for both the front and back. I also shortened the sleeves and ignored the binding, instead just folding over and topstitching to hem the neck and armholes. I didn't bother finishing the bottom because I intend to always have this tucked in, but I may go back and add a strip to the bottom à la Renfrew if I feel particularly inspired some day.
|I'm pretty pleased with my stripe-matching.|
|I need to work on my v-necks though. Folding over doesn't work so well at the point, so both the front and back have awkward bits.|
|Iffy point foldover. I realized belatedly that I made this wrong side out. |
Oh well. I doubt anyone will really notice. And if they do, hopefully they're
not so snarky as to point it out to me?
Fabric: Questionable content knit from a thrift store; I used about 2/3 yd and still have 1/2 yd left for yet another tee? How many turquoise-and-white striped tees does a person really need?
Techniques used: Cutting (and sewing) on the bias, stripe matching (mostly successfully)
Hours: A mere two! An hour for fussy cutting and pinning, but the actual sewing went pretty quickly.
Will you make this again? Not this particular combination, no, but chevrons, yes, and BCT hack, yes.
Total cost: $2
Final thoughts: Eternal gratefulness to Steph for generously releasing her pattern for our use! Also, wondering why I ever bought this color, as it doesn't match anything else in my wardrobe except this black skirt (coincidentally sprung into being at the same time as my previous BCT hacks). Oh wait, I know, I was just so excited to find actual yardage (and not just another sheet) at the thrift store I just snatched it up without thinking too hard about its place in my closet color scheme.
This tee was also intended to be a low-commitment piece to warm up for the chevron dress that I want to make for the Sew Weekly pink challenge. I'll be using Vintage Vogue 8789 to make a Horrockses-inspired dress. Wish my cutting and pinning luck -- this is not a time to be committing sewing sins!
But because I'm still a crazed sewasaurus rex at heart, and because I found a brand new tee at the thrift store (with nothing on it, so a literal blank canvas!), I decided to go ahead and make myself a "screenprint" tee with my sewasaurus rex graphic on it.
|Finished tee, sad nighttime bathroom mirror shot.|
That's two turquoise tees in two days. Good thing I like this color, even if doesn't really match anything in my wardrobe except black bottoms.