Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Refashioned Cashmere Shawl into Capelet


Can you call it a refashion if you really just used it as yardage?

So thick and plush!
When my parents went to Hong Kong last Thanksgiving, my grandma gave my mom a beautiful gray 100% cashmere wrap/scarf/shawl thing to give me. Actually, I don't know if she actually meant it for me, or if my mom decided that. Anyway, while it was a lovely, soft, fuzzy, altogether delicious fabric, I honestly wouldn't ever wear such a thick scarf. Also the fringe was a little weird. But seeing as how it was decadent material, and a good 2' x 5.5' length, I figured it would be perfect for turning into a capelet. I used the oh-so-popular Retro Butterick 5032, which originally calls for 7/8 of a yard of 45" fabric. I had plenty of fabric, enough to lengthen the capelet by about three inches. I just figured that more coverage = warmer. And goodness, for a little thing with no sleeves, it is quite toasty! It was quite a gray day and even in my lace and chiffon confection, I was surprisingly warm. Also I was wearing gloves. And furry shooties, also from HK, but that's beside the point.

When I got these shooties in two years ago in HK, frankly, I thought they looked a little bit silly. But my mom always says that whatever is in fashion in HK will be in fashion in a year or so, and she is always right. I still think they look silly, but everyone else wearing shooties looks equally silly, so I guess it's okay.
Back view.

Understitching and slipstitching!
This was my first experience with making outerwear, and it just makes me more excited about making my own coat! I took my time with it, actually understitching as directed and making sure my slipstitching at the hem was invisible. Unfortunately, after it was too late to do anything about it, I discovered a tiny stain/discoloration on the left shoulder! I tried my best to wash it out, but I think I only succeeded in de-plushing that little spot. Oh well. No one will be staring that closely at my shoulder, I hope.

I feel a little silly posting a picture of a discoloration.
I made my own covered button with one of those kits...and I have to admit, I'm kind of addicted to how awesome it looks. I want to put covered buttons on everything now! Because I'm still scared of trying a bound buttonhole, and because this is nice fabric for which I can get no additional yardage, I decided to make the button purely decorative, and sew on snaps instead. Since I nestled the button right under the collar, it's a little tricky to actually snap.


I like the idea of the collar on this cape, but it's sad that since the pattern pieces are the same size, and there's no padstitching to horsehair canvas or steaming to speak of, the underside of the collar is totally visible. I can see how tailoring could get really exciting once one got into it. Well, I have plenty of time to read up on it before next winter.

Inside-out. My first MTL dress attempt is now a very,
very, time-expensive decency cover for Cecily.
Summary:
Fabric: 100% cashmere (I swear, it's about a quarter of an inch thick, it's so plush), polyester lining from Joann's (the expensive kind, not the cheap, shiny, fraytastic, polyester stuff of my nightmares)
Notions: covered button kit, sew-on snaps
Hours: Five? I worked on this in between other projects over the course of two weeks, so it's hard to say.
Techniques used: Understitching, slipstitching, making a covered button
Will you make this again? Nope...don't see a need for another capelet in my wardrobe, especially considering I already have two other RTW capes.
Total cost: $4! The cashmere was free, obviously, and I actually recycled a covered button from another garment by popping out the shank and switching the fabric, so the only cost was the lining.
Final thoughts: Wearing this capelet makes me feel like Madeline. I love how it gives whatever I'm wearing a vintage vibe, although that might be helped along by the gloves. It's nice and warm and would be a nice topper for a long slinky black gown, should I ever have an opportunity to wear one? Also, the best thing is that my husband thought I bought it! When I told him I sewed it myself, he said "Really? It looks so...clean." By which he meant that all the stitching was hidden (as was revealed through further interrogation, after I got mock offended by his implication that my homemade garments are dirty). So maybe it was really a statement about the construction of my other garments, and not so much a praise of this one. But I'll take it! The only thing I'm not a fan of with this capelet is that honestly, it still smells strongly of grandma.

Husband and I took these pictures with my Dulcie Dress. I had complained previously about not knowing what to do with my hands, so I brought along a book in a similar color palette to hold during our mini shoot. I look all demure and bookish holding it, don't I?

Capelet slung fashionably over one shoulder.

Well, it's all bogus, as I'm actually holding Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! It was a gift from my sister for my book-themed bridal shower two years ago. But hey, PPZ is all about looking good, but with a secret other side, right?


 
Goofy smirk.
Lastly, thank you to all of you who had such helpful things to say about teaching kids to sew! I definitely had no idea where to even begin, but now I'm all armed with scrap paper with lines, scrap fabric, some samples "things you can make!", and many ideas. I'll let you know how it goes! 

24 comments:

  1. ok, firstly, i want a hardcover copy of P&P&Z. but more importantly, that cape is a beautiful complement to your MTL outfit. really great job all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Formula for getting a nice copy of PPZ: bridal shower + awesome younger sister ;)

      Delete
  2. Looks great with your dress! I love PPZ, I need to read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALVH is definitely on my to-read list! My sister keeps bugging me about it...

      Delete
  3. This looks fantastic and toasty! I adore capelets - and this one is absolutely perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely toasty for LA, but I'm not so sure about Chicago...but thank you!

      Delete
  4. This looks soooo gorgeous! I think I'm in love with your cape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is baller. I love it. Also, there is something great about the fact that you own not one, not two, but three capes. Of course you do. It's a wardrobe builder. Excellent.

    Strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, your comments always crack me up! My capes haven't gotten too much wear this unseasonably warm winter, so I don't know that I really should have added another one. And darn, I should have chosen "Great Wardrobe Builder" instead of "Highly Recommend" on Pattern Review.

      Delete
  6. Darling little cape! I love it! So charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always wanted a cape that would be a younger sibling to Wendy, Michael, and John ;)

      Delete
  7. Adorable! I don't find capes terribly practical up here but hopefully it will be great for your climate. It looks great with the dress, gloves, shooties (cutest word every) and, of course, the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think capes would work as well in the Great White North. I mean, there's a reason why every single Jack London story ends in the dude dying. Thank you for loving the word shootie. My husband thinks it's ridiculous that they exist, much less have a portmanteau name.

      Delete
  8. It's lovely - the peter pan collar made it even lovelier. In your first photo without the car and other clues to modern day life, you look like you stepped out from a genteel bygone era. Love that photo. You know, you do have the most amazing style, you can wear superhero dresses and look cool and you can wear vintage capes and look ladylike. I love visiting your blog :) Thanks for the pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thanks for noticing that I tried to crop out modernity in my first picture! Hmm...I should try wearing this cape with my superhero dresses, because, you know, superheroes wear capes.

      Delete
  9. This is so lovely and lady-like! You did a beautiful job. I think I followed a link on patternreview.com to get here. I'm your 150th follower! I've read back a little ways- I love your happy style and reading about your progression as a sewist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely - it really does look very luxurious! And it goes with your new dress perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you are reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. That book makes me smile. Secondly I love the caplet. I've had this pattern forever and now looking at your cute pictures, I want to make one now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.