Nothing sewing-related to show here, though, as I've been suffering from what-to-sew-next ADHD. I originally wanted to make something for the next Sew Weekly challenge, which is use any movie that's ever won an Oscar for inspiration. I had in mind a grand The Duchess-inspired gown made out of a vaguely chintzy bedsheet I found at Goodwill, but after some research I've concluded that one does not simply whip up such a costume in two weeks. At least not if you want to do it some justice. Especially since I don't actually know anything about historical fashion, and I haven't any proper stays, and my pattern is this sadly inaccurate Simplicity 4092 costume pattern. I know anything I make won't be anywhere near accurate, as my fabric is much too brightly colored, has polyester in it, and I'm not interested in hand-sewing, but I want it to at least look somewhat respectable. So here's to more research, and possibly dipping my foot into making a corset. Although what I really want to do is make a Victorian-era corset, not a conical one.
Something like this?
|Love this dress. From here.|
I still don't have pictures of my UFO dress, as it's been too gloomy and gray for pictures. But! Just to show that it can be done, here's my embroidered version of my Gollum+The One Ring valentine. Gollum is in dark gray, the ring is in the same gold as my Rohan horse, and the hearts are red, obviously. I wasn't particularly careful with my stitches, but I can report that I have gotten much, much better at the split stitch. I haven't done the words yet, and I'm not sure if I want to. I'm afraid anything I stitch won't look as good as the actual calligraphed version. But hey, it actually works as an embroidery pattern!
|So creepy, all stitched up he is, yessss, he is, precioussss...|
|The mess on the back. Also, I didn't tie off the last thread.|
|Close-up of the horrible heart-stitching.|