Saturday, October 29, 2011

Yet Another Helena Bonham Carter Character

couple costume sweeney todd mrs. lovett
My husband says I need to be the Red Queen next, but I think I prefer Alice's dresses.
Last night was, hands down, the most uhhh, shall I say, interesting Halloween party I've ever been to. Not that I've been to a lot. It all started pleasantly enough -- a bunch of MBA candidates from one of the top 15 business schools in the country, gathering at an absolutely amazing venue, the Petersen Automotive Museum. It was full of beautiful cars worth millions of dollars, and somebody decided that that was a great place to put 400 people and an unlimited open bar. Yeah, right. By the end of the party (which ended an hour and half early because it got shut down), someone had stolen bottles from the bar, a vintage 1927 half a million dollar motorcycle had been knocked over, and someone was arrested. This is why we can't have nice things, people. It's an interesting mental juxtaposition with the chapter I'm reading in A.J. Jacobs' The Guinea Pig Diaries, where he attempts to live out George Washington's rules for civility and self-mastery.

The original 1966 Batmobile!
Anyway, even though craziness happened, my husband and I had lots of fun looking at the cars (although he had more fun with that than me), looking at the costumes, and marveling at how stupid people get. And best of all, I got to dress up (again! This is a record-breaking year for dressing up!) with him in a totally awesome couple costume: Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett! The amusing thing was that most people just thought he was dressed up as Johnny Depp. That works too.

"These are my friends...see how they glitter..." He brought a butter knife as his razor since we didn't think a real blade would go over well with security.
"I'm your friend, too, Mr. Todd!"

The only vehicle there from close to "our" era was a 1897 1.5-horsepower electric motor-powered car.

Requisite buddy pic. You know, because he's my buddy. My best one.
"Ooh Mr. Todd! I'm so happy! I could eat you up I really could!"
The best thing about these costumes is that we didn't have to get anything new! My husband grew out his hair (even though it was seriously bugging him! He got it cut immediately this morning) for the Sweeney Todd look, and I just tried to make my hair as messy as possible. All of these are clothes we already own, and the props were things we had in our kitchen. I already had white hairspray from my Bellatrix wig, and then it was just a matter of getting him to stay still while I put on eyeliner. The finishing touch was tearing off a strip of my nice gray Bemberg lining for his makeshift cravat-tie-thing. I'm so glad he humored me when I presented him with my costume idea, and I'd like to think it was cute without being excessively couple-y.

2 comments:

  1. The comment underneath your requisite buddy pic made my heart melt:) Great costumes, Cindy! You both look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ShaynaAwww thanks Shayna! I look forward to being heart-melted by you and your best buddy one day too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.