|All ready to sing Dona Nobis Pacem!|
At an original $89 (why??? for cheap polyester?!), I figured it was a pretty expensive souvenir, and I needed a long skirt to be part of my steampunk costume. I realize that steampunk is supposed to be a reimagining of the Victorian era, but I just don't have it in my budget to do ginormous bustles and bell-shaped skirts. Thankfully, I think the community is fairly forgiving and will overlook my use of a an anachronistic polyester silhouette. Anyway, I cut off the top part of my dress, saving it of course (who knows, I might need it one day!), and then hemmed the waist of the skirt. I even went so far as to use bias tape since the material was fraying quite a bit, but somehow I messed up and got a weird pucker on the front of the skirt. Oh well, that part will be under the corset anyway.
|I kept the original zipper, but I cut it down to the right size and sewed a little bit at the top to keep the zipper pull from just zipping right off. I also added a hook and eye (I only have white, unfortunately).|
|Front, with the weird pucker, back, and side.|
|Close up of the braided trim, my mom's 14-year-old hem since the original dress was long enough for a giantess, and some choir room gunk that wouldn't wash out.|