Saturday, June 8, 2013

Winner, Winner

...chicken dinner and a question for you all:

1) Winner: Congratulations to Aleah of No Time to Sew for winning May's knit stashbusting challenge! She says she's not good at improv while sewing, but if this darling dress is what results from sewing on the fly, well, I say she needs to do more of it! Pop me an email, so we can send you a little something!

2) Winner: Beth of SunnyGal Studios gets to take a crack at tracing that umm, rather intense pattern sheet from Modellina Facile! Let me know what your address is so I can send you your prize and you can get to tracing...because goodness knows, following those lines is going to take long enough.

3) Chicken dinner: It's been a while since I put up any Walnut photos, so have a quick iPhone snap of the closest thing I could get to a chicken dinner.

He had burrowed himself under the covers of the guest bed for his morning nap, and looked totally shocked when I flipped back the covers, put a stuffed chicken leg plushie next to him, and quickly took a picture. 


3) Question: Have you ever put a knit lining into a woven dress? I want to make a sheath dress from the gold lace I have leftover from making Elaine's wedding dress, but obviously the lace is see-through. I've got a cream-colored jersey that would make a nice underlay, but I'm not sure if mixing stretch/non-stretch is a big sewing no-no. Thoughts, sewasauruses?

18 comments:

  1. I've used knits to make slips to wear under sheer wovens, but I've never attached the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, yeah, a slip might be safer than attaching the two...

      Delete
  2. It shouldn't be a problem as long as your knit is tighter than the lace fabric that doesn't stretch. If you make a slip dress with the knit, you could just make a separate lace dress (probably need a zipper for the lace) and then layer them - no need to attach unless you really want to. And you could put tiny snaps at the shoulders to keep them together while you wear them. =)

    (Congrats to the winners!)

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lace doesn't stretch, but I think I like the idea of exchangeable slips and lace dresses. I don't know why I was so hung up on the idea of them needing to be attached to each other!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to the winners. Poor Walnut he looks so confused.

    Dress thoughts... off the top of my head if it was a loose pull over the head style, I would attach the two at the neckline and only hem the cream after I let it hang to account for the stretch.
    Otherwise I'm with Brooke, it might be easiest to make them separately depending on the pattern/look you are going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was definitely confused (as was I!) when I flipped back the cover to find him there!

      Delete
  4. I have a kitty, Jake, who burrows under the covers for naps as well. He loves being hidden, and starts purring loudly once he's under the down comforter. You should see his face when I pull back the covers to change sheets! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnut isn't usually a burrower, so it was a surprise to find him under the covers. Jake sounds adorable!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I'd go with the slip option or possibly only tack them together at the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to checking out Modellina, I just emailed you. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it's going to someone who can deal with the Italian (and the crazy tracing!).

      Delete
  7. Squeee! I'm so excited and honored to have won, thank you!! Any pattern improv I attempt I owe to you, the undisputed queen of just-figuring-it-out. I can only aspire to your level of on-the-fly genius :)
    Also, have I mentioned recently how awesome it is that you just have a chicken drumstick plushie laying around waiting for photo ops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh...would it be too weird to confess that i actually have three drumsticks waiting around, in various shades to represent various states of cookedness (raw, cooked, and burnt!)?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for chiming in! It's definitely a very lightweight knit, and I think I've even got a slip for a RTW dress in a similar weight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to the winners! It was recommended to me to use knit (tricot) interfacing for a light woven fabric garment. So, can't see why you couldn't use a knit lining. Similar sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would wonder if the lace might "catch" on the knit. ???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently read a Threads Magazine article on lining and interlining by Sandra Betzina, and she says that she has successfully underlined a lace jacket with bathing suit nude mesh lining and some slightly stretchy woven with a rayon knit, so I think you're good to go. :)
    source: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4999/understanding-underlining

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.