Friday, September 21, 2012

Dolman-Sleeve Top Roundup!

It's been a month and a day since I released my dolman sleeve top pattern, and I've been so thrilled to see the versions that other sewasauruses have made! Seriously, it's exciting to be able to help other people sew comfy but cute tops. Here are the ones I've seen:

Aleah of No Time to Sew was the first to make it up, and I love the graphic black and white pattern she chose! And the solid-colored armbands are just perfect.

Giggles in the Sun's version is a lovely feminine floral:

Gail of Today's Agenda has made not one, not two, but three. I [heart] the bold stripes she chose!

Kim of Punkmik's green polka-dot version is just too awesome for words, especially when paired with a dinosaur necklace!

And the only person to have tried it as a sweatshirt, Dapper Duds! I'm loving that bow!
From her instagram.

Now, even as I've been enjoying seeing all these pictures pop up on teh interwebs, I've also been pleased to receive some constructive feedback about the actual pattern. As it turns out, apparently my arms are ultra-spindly, as several people have said that the arm bands needed to be widened significantly. Okay, point taken, I need to work out more before I draft more patterns based on my own measurements! ;) Also, apparently the neckline can be a little wide -- even a tiny bit of stretching out might make it unwearable. I always knew I had wide shoulders (it's one of the things I can reliably count on my grandmother to comment on), and the pattern is meant to just barely cover my bra straps, so it's totally understandable that this might be too much for some/most people. So take note, it might be a good idea to cut the neckline smaller and then enlarge it later if necessary. If you've had the misfortune of already cutting it too wide, might I suggest a center pleat to bring it in? I'll be adding these comments to the original pattern download page so that new victims are aware, too.

Anyway, if you've also had a chance to try out my pattern, let me know! I just picked up a cute scale-print knit that I might use for yet another version of this top -- it's seriously so comfortable and perfect for showcasing fun fabrics!

10 comments:

  1. Great roundup, Cindy! It's so fun to see what everyone did with your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad it worked out so well for you! It's so interesting seeing how different they all look depending on the fabric choice.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for featuring my top, and thanks for making such a clearly versatile pattern! I love the striped one, I'll have to do stripes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, aren't the stripes just fantastic? I've been on the lookout for a striped knit!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for featuring my dotty one. :P keep looking for jersey to make more. I have the bug and these versions are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dotty one is super cute! I love the vibrant green on you.

      Delete
    2. Aww thank you! :D Before sewing I used to just wear black and grey and sewing has opened the whole rainbow of colour for me! :D

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the pattern. Dolman is definitely on my sewing list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely on my to-sew list - I've got so much knit fabric that would work with your exceptional design! You're too fabulous, you know that? :) Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.