Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sewing Blogiverse Love

It's been a fantastic last several days! The sewing blogiverse, which, while lovely and encouraging and all, resides pretty firmly inside my laptop (for all I know, everyone except Oona, whom I've actually met IRL, was created by an exceedingly clever spambot), suddenly intersected with my "real" life in a whole bunch of ways.

Both us wearing me-mades, too!
Last Friday, I was just browsing in my somewhat-local discount fabric store, when I pulled a 60" roll of knit fabric off of a high shelf. I'm not super coordinated, so when a nearby lady started staring at me, my first panicked thought was that I had hit her in the head with the bolt. But then she said tentatively, "Cindy?" And I replied in the affirmative, equally tentatively. Well, as it turns out, this lady was none other than Aleah of No Time to Sew! We read each others' blogs, and while neither of us lives in the city usually, we managed to run into each other over by the $2.39/yd fabric table. After much mutual exclaiming and laughing and gushing, we calmed down enough to snap a quick photo as proof to the world that "this lady whose sewing blog I read" is, in fact, a real person. It was so fun to be recognized out in the wild, and I am so glad to have had a chance to meet Aleah; she is such a lovely person! 

I love getting sewing-related presents, especially when there are bonuses!
Thank you, Leah!
And then over the weekend, I was so fortunate as to receive two packages on the same day, both packed with sewing goodies! I got my giveaway package from Leah of Struggle Sews A Straight Seam, which had not only the promised patterns, but some salmon-colored silk and seam binding as well! The other package was an unsolicited box of awesome from Meg the Grand -- yes, you read that correctly, it wasn't a giveaway or my birthday or anything; she just sent it out of the goodness of her heart. Seriously, the sewing blogiverse is populated with the most lovely people!


Isn't that dinosaur patch the best thing ever? I need to figure out what would be worthy of such an adornment. I also adore the sailor outfit and the pussy bow dress! Thank you so much, Meg!
Walnut also likes it when I get packages, as it means new playthings for him.

Walnut, that box isn't big enough for you to climb into.


And just in case I wasn't inundated enough with blog/real life intersections, yesterday night I had the chance to meet up with several other Bay Area sewing bloggers at a meetup hosted by CaƱada College's Fashion Deparment. I was too starstruck to take pictures of all the fantastic hats and garments on display, but go check out Shams of Communing With Fabric's recap. I was kicking myself that I didn't have enough cash on hand to purchase Lynda Maynard's book from her directly so she could sign it, too, but such is having to pay for bridge toll all the time life. And I so wish I lived in the city all the time so that I could take millinery classes! It was such an inspiring evening, seeing everyone else's lovely couture garments during the show and tell portion of the evening. And I? What did I bring to share? Hah! A wearable muslin of a simple bias-cut dress, made from leftover Spiderman sheets. Thankfully, I grabbed my 1912 blouse at the last second while running out the door, so I had something slightly less juvenile to share with all of these accomplished seamstresses.
You can't see it here, but she was wearing this gorgeous, vibrant red skirt.


Many thanks to Amy of Sew Well for letting me know about this event! She is just as thoughtful and sweet IRL as she is on her blog. If anything, I find her more inspiring than some of the more experienced professional seamstresses who were there, since she's been sewing for about as long as I have, but has a much more balanced sewing portfolio to show for it. Hmmm, I guess I should get back to cake-sewing. Prom dresses and whales don't quite fall into that category!

22 comments:

  1. It was so nice to meet you, Cindy, and to learn about your fabulous blog! I love Amy, who is, indeed, incredibly sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to meet you too! Thanks for writing up such an excellent recap!

      Delete
  2. Look at you! I had no idea that you met Aleah just a few days ago. Anyway, it was great to meet you. And, I will be stealing that photo if you don't mind! Hurry back to the Bay Area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please steal it! I mean, it's your face in it ;) I enjoyed getting to actually talk to you in person, and I will try to make it to the next blogger meet-up if I'm in town!

      Delete
  3. Another photo stealer here :) you seem to have a better phone camera than I - my photographic evidence turned out blurry!
    Anyway, it was awesome to meet you (and I'm jealous you met Amy too!) - drop me a line when you're driving through the central coast and maybe I can meet you in that bizarro fabric store in Solvang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know if I make it to Solvang! My husband had the best almond horn of his life there, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince him to go back...

      Help yourself to the photographic evidence, and I think it might be the harshness of the light more than anything.

      Delete
  4. awww this is lovely! Some awesome people out in the blogosphere! :D The dino patch is great! I hope you make something with it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing people are the best! So much better than show people ;)

      There's too much pressure to do something spectacular with the dino patch!!!

      Delete
  5. What a coincidence to run into a blogger in real life!!! That's super cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to you, yet, Miss Featured-In-The-Paper!!

      Delete
  6. lol - you are no longer anonymous! You will have to start wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses if you don't want to be noticed - of course, some of the clothes you've made yourself (like the striped top) are recognizable too. =)

    Seriously though, how cool that you got to have some many real life cross-overs recently!

    What nice goodies in your mailbox! I really like that 4014 pattern of the reversible 60's dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought I might be recognized if I were wearing a superhero dress, but I never expected it in a normal tee!

      Delete
  7. I love how inquisitive Walnut is! Lovely patterns, looking forward to seeing you make them! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is definitely a poster child for curiosity killed the cat :\

      Delete
  8. WOW! You lucky girl you! Those are some great packages! and YAY for more gratuitous Walnut shots... seriously, I just adore him ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I need to share the love soon...just as soon as I get my paycheck so I can cover postage! And it's nice to see that Walnut has his own fan club!

      Delete
  9. It was great to meet you in person and I love your superhero sewing (and the vintage stuff) We will include you in spirit if not always in person in our Bay Area sewing/blogging group - hope to see you again next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I really hope we do settle here so that I can finally learn to make a coat from you! And yes, Aleah is great!

      Delete
  10. PS I forgot to say how fun to meet Aleah, I always like her stuff and she picks great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, you guys are both so sweet! And I can only aspire to your level of sew-know-how, Beth! Maybe I'll run into you at another bay area fabric store someday ;)

      Delete
  11. It was so fun to meet you! I loved your spiderman dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I should've sent a bigger box for Walnut to play in ;) I'm glad you like all of your goodies!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.