Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday Doings

I've been having a busy time this week, what with preparing for next year's job, rediscovering old thrifting grounds, and sewing up a storm in preparation for Promaballoona. I did finish my Leonora shorts, and many thanks to all of you for your lovely, kind, encouraging comments. I feel so much better about them now! Pictures to come tomorrow. In the meantime, a couple of random iPhone snaps to tide you over:

I didn't bring this one home with me from Thrift Town, but I just had to take a picture -- this apparently belonged to a very disgruntled lady, judging by the comments written on the pattern envelope. "Neck opening way too large; armholes too deep; sides too wide, etc. etc. etc." And above the "large" designation, one more "VERY" in all caps. I love seeing these glimpses of the personalities/lives of the former owners of vintage patterns! This lady also apparently had a husband with a 42" chest, as there were at least ten men's shirt patterns from the 70s bundled with this one.

I used to go to Thrift Town all the time when I was teaching in San Leandro; whether I needed to spice up my teacher wardrobe or find costumes for the school's theater production, it never failed me. Well, that was before I started sewing, and now that I've discovered the wonders of vintage patterns, it's still good to me.

Butterick 5927 shirtdress, Simplicity 8098 mod skort-dress, Simplicity 4483 activewear set, Vogue 5462 skirt suit, Advance 8502 coatdress (my very first Advance pattern ever!), Simplicity 6149 girls' jumper and blouse (not my size, but just too cute not to get), and a turquoise-green stretch bottomweight fabric of mysterious fiber content, obviously perfect for the pants in Simplicity 4483!

And because this was just too ridiculous not to share, and on the chance that there might be some former Sanrio-addicts out there, have a not-very-indicative shot of my muslin of my prom dress!

Not very indicative of the actual dress because, you know, Pochacco sheets.
My actual dress is obviously going to be made out of curtains.

It's actually the Simplicity 4257 that Jane sent me for our swap, and it is turning out beautifully! My actual prom dress won't have sleeves, but I thought I should test out the sleeves while I was at it. I ended up taking out all the ease because I couldn't figure out how to insert it otherwise, and honestly, it's no better or worse than with the 2" of ease drafted into the sleeve cap...could it be that sleeve cap ease really is bogus?

21 comments:

  1. I love that Simplicity 4483 is an activewear set, including a hoodie, but also including a skirt. How cute is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one can be quite active in a skirt, just so long as it's full enough for long strides and one is wearing tap pants underneath!

      Delete
  2. there's a thrift town in the city too! on 17th and mission! much closer than san leandro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, bhuuuut... Thrift Town San Leandro is srsly one of the best thrift stores in the Bay. I find SF thrift stores overpriced/too crowded and therefore hard to find the goods. I don't live in SL, but SL Thrift Town has been worth the trip since my mom took me thrifting when I was a little girl.

      Srsly, comparing two thrift stores with the same name... not like comparing two Targets at all. Not the same.

      Delete
    2. Elisha, I'm glad that you understand the awesomeness of TTSL! I've never been to the SF one, but if I do you can be sure I'll review it.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see your Proomaballoona dress! I just found your blog, it was the Spiderman dress :) It's so inspiring to see people interested in the same things that I am. Although I should probably use more time sewing and less on blog reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you find my rather bizarre interests interesting! Thanks for looking!

      Delete
    2. I think it's because I have bizarre interests myself :)

      Delete
  4. POCHACCO SHEETS

    POCHACCO SHEETS

    POCHACCO SHEETS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was exactly my brain's response to that photo.

      Delete
    2. Alas, the actual sheets are waaaay too ratty for anything other than muslin-making, or else you know I'd have already made a dress from them...

      Delete
  5. Your mockup sheet it so cool! Can't wait to see the real thing!

    The sleeve cap ease is usually more noticable on period style garments. A lot of times if you pin well, you won't even notice it on most ungathered sleeves - so you are probably a good pinner. =) I'm always amazed at how ease disappears when you pin something well - even if it's a straight seam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I'm a particularly good pinner -- in fact, trying to pin it was so horrible that I just took all the ease out; that's why the top looks so nice and smooth. I wish I could watch a real professional tackle sleeves with two inches of ease, then maybe I could figure out the secret!

      Delete
  6. "My actual dress is obviously going to be made out of curtains."

    haaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

    a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you. I have never seen such a judicious use of the letter A in a comment.

      Delete
  7. "My actual dress is obviously going to be made out of curtains."

    Obviously. ;-) Can't wait to see the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we had thrift stores where I live - they sound so useful :( xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very useful! Thrift stores are a large part of why I can sew so cheaply. Do you not have second-hand/charity shops where you are?

      Delete
  9. Your prom dress is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see what curtain fabric you choose! tee hee....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a doozy all right...it's going to put Scarlett's dress to shame.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.