Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Exchanging One Gray City for Another



Actually, Seattle's weather forecast says that it will be nicer than it will be in the city for the next several days. That's pretty sad, San Francisco. Better step up your game -- I mean, we're talking about the rainy city here! 

So yeah, in case you couldn't figure it out, I'm going to Seattle tonight, staying until Monday. Elaine and I are flying up to visit Nikki, who is the third person in our original high school trio, the Collective Idiot (so named because on our own, we are intelligent women with witty things to say, but when we get together, things descend into ridiculousness very quickly). The three of us met the first day of freshmen year of high school, we went to prom together instead of with dates, and this August we are celebrating our fifteenth friendship anniversary! Sometimes I can't believe that these ladies have known me for such a long time...it's such a precious thing to have really old friends with whom you can just be yourself with no fear of judgment or contempt, because they've lived with you through all the awkward years of being boy crazy, ridiculous, sophomoric teens.

This was at our eighth anniversary celebration, when we were finally old enough to have mimosas...good gracious, we look so young!

Anyway, this is my first "real" visit to Seattle (the first time was just a quick drive through on the way to Vancouver, so it doesn't count), so we'll do some normal touristy things, as well as eat lots of good food* (and hope to catch the Top Chef crew as they film there!). But being me, I would of course love to squeeze in some fabric/sewing-related stops if I can...does anyone have any absolutely-can't-miss recommendations?

*This trip would be the perfect setting for my formal shorts, except that I need to figure out something to wear on top, since I can't exactly make off with my sister's sweater for a week.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, we prefer Emerald city, and we do have very nice summers here! :) They just don't start until July 5.... Funny, I am going to California this wknd. SoCal, though, so I am expecting sun! I wouldn't really say that there are any 'can't miss'es, since you are coming from a city, but Pacific Fabrics is nice and Seattle Fabrics has a crazy neat selection of outdoor fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After just getting back, my goodness, I totally concur with the "Emerald City" title! Living in SoCal (at least for the last several years), I just sort of took it for granted that brown and yellow are normal colors for vegetation. I have never been so delighted by the greenery everywhere in a city! I kept on raving to my friends about how gorgeous the city is with all the trees and plants and flowers.

      I didn't end up visiting either fabric store you mentioned, but I did enjoy all the trees!

      Delete
  2. I second Paficic Fabrics! And if you're looking for lace or fancy things, go to Nancy's Sewing Basket on the top of queen anne hill. Can't really thing of any sewing-related must-sees though. Or any thrifting hotspots besides the big goodwill near the international district. I hope you enjoy your trip up here! Seattle is such a beautiful city, and we have awesome food. You definitely picked a great time of year to visit. I haven't seen the top chef crew yet... but some friends saw Padma at Pike Place. So exciting! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up going to Queen Anne for the view, and I persuaded my friends to stop by Nancy's Sewing Basket -- what a delightful room of ribbons! We didn't have time to go to too many thrift stores, but we still had fun at the Fremont flea market and a couple of garage sales.

      And seriously. Awesome. Food. My tongue was sooo happy the entire time!

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoy your time here, it IS lovely this week! I like Pacific Fabrics too, I know there are some great shops downtown but I avoid parking there! And I can't believe Top Chef is filming here and I didn't know it, mmm! Hope you have an amazing time spending time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprisingly lovely while we were there! My friends and I ended up walking downtown so we didn't have to park...thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. We should also try to go to a flea market or something, because I need to kick into high gear on finding cute teacups/saucers for the wedding!

    Also, OMG, we look incredibly young! I kind of can't believe we were old enough to buy champagne, looking like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, looks like you did kick it into high gear!

      And yes, we look like kids!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I don't read any blogs for a few days and I miss things! Glad that you enjoyed Seattle and ate well, I'm particularly thrilled that you made it Nancy's Sewing Basket and their ribbon room,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.