|How many types of flowers can you spot on this dress?|
|But...it's so comfy!|
|When I saw this, I knew I'd found my inspiration.|
My sheet supplier, Shayna, had also given me a lovely colorful thrifted floral sheet that had bows and lace, which is pretty much spot on for a Betsey-Johnson inspired design. I ended up using McCall's 5800, a retro-looking pattern, with a few modifications to make my dress. This turned out to be a mistake. I assumed that since a previous size 8 McCall's had worked out beautifully, this one would be a piece of cake. I didn't bother making a muslin, nor was I especially critical when trying on the pinned-together pattern pieces before assembling the dress. As it turns out, I am not...well-endowed...enough to fill out the top. I ended up making several spur of the moment corrections, and while it ended up mostly working, it's not my best fitting work.
WholePort's Creativity Expo. This company has amazing trims and laces and things, and they so kindly sent a free one-yard sample to me last week! It was the perfect shade of dusky rose to match the fabric, so I used it around the waist and on the front straps at the gathered spots. I couldn't believe how perfectly it matched!
|Click to see my hideously uneven stitches.|
Given how much time this project took, I don't know if I'm up for another Sew Weekly challenge. It's tricky because not only do I need to find the inspiration that fits the challenge, then I need to go get fabric and notions and a pattern. I have a decent-sized stash, but not a big enough one that I can always find what I have in mind. So in the future, I think I'll definitely try to participate in Sew Weekly by sewing something every week, but it may not always fit the challenge.