Almost two years ago, when I first found out about the VPLL 1912 project, I got all excited about making an evening gown suitable for wearing on the Titanic. That was when I was at the height of my Downton Abbey phase, and Lady Mary's gorgeous dresses added to the motivation. I went so far as to thrift some pale minty-jade green chiffon drapes and buy some trims, but then life and the lack of new episodes intervened, and the fabric got stuffed into the bottom of a bin, sadly forgotten until now...
The HSF challenge this fortnight is green, and this painting that The Dreamstress posted reminded me about the minty-jade-green chiffon that I had stashed away. While I don't think I'll be able to finish a whole evening gown before the deadline next week, I figured I might as well make some more concrete plans (and release them to teh interwebs for some tenuous public accountability).
|Ignore the 43" x 62". It was the dimension of some sheet or other from another project. Can you tell my 1912 sketch was straight off the Sense and Sensibility pattern?|
I was torn for a while on what year to aim for. I think the 1916 dresses look so fun and flouncy, but in my heart I knew I wanted the sleeker early-teens look.
|I tried more sketches. Obviously I have yet to take the Fashion Illustration course at the college.|
Frustrated by my attempts to draw my vision, I just pulled out my fabrics and trims and started draping things on Cecily.
|Attempt #1: so many pins holding everything in place! The chiffon looks blue in all these pictures, but in real life it's more like this green.|
|Attempt #2: this was several hours later, hence the change in lighting. Not sure if I prefer the crossover bodice or not.|
|Closer-up of the beaded ribbon (purchased here). Also, I stole the sash from my Gatsby dress.|
I'm afraid a real evening gown of the era would have a lot more bling...errr, trims and beading and lace, but mine is the poor (wo)man's version, so a couple of beaded ribbons will have to do. Now that I've kind of settled on a year, I "just" need to make a structured underdress, drape and sew the overdress, and figure out where to hide all the layers of closures...