Saturday, May 4, 2013

May the Fourth

It's Star Wars Day! Considering that that was the first geeky trilogy I fell in love with, I figured it was appropriate to dress Walnut up to celebrate the occasion (Walnut, on the other hand, may have disagreed). Since he's all brown and hairy and thinks with his stomach, well, it was pretty obvious who he had to cosplay as...


"Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?"

Walnut loves punching and attacking straws. They're like his mortal enemy or something. If he sees one in a glass or soda cup, he will go out of his way to seize it and chew it to death. 


It's almost as if they had enslaved his ancestors or something, just like the Empire with the Wookiee home planet of Kashyyyk. I mean, look at that face of intense hatred!
What did I tell you?
A Wookiee in a berserker rage is a fearsome sight. 
So into it, he doesn't care that his bandolier strap has fallen off. 

So yeah, it's not wise to upset a Wookiee.


I made the strap out of some leftover 1" brown cotton webbing and fleece straps.

Step 1: Zigzag stitch two strips of webbing together to make a wider strap.
Step 2: Butt the ends of the strap together at a right angle and zigzag stitch it together. Cut out a bunch of white fleece rectangles and glue them on.  
Step 3: Stitch a piece of brown ribbon down the center. 

After all his exertions against the evil Straw Empire, Walnut is exhausted.


Cats and Wookiees -- both fiercely loyal and cuddly-looking, but let them win unless you want your arms torn off.

Bonus: Walnut does his best bantha pose. 

Happy May the Fourth, everyone!

28 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I am all smiles now, thanks to you and Walnut. I love your creativity, and his patience with the bandolier. Fabulous!

    May the Fourth be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are glorious beyond reason. may the fourth be with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HHAHA! Walnut is great! I love Star Wars too. Didn't know there was a day for it! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The force is strong with this one...

    This totally made my day- Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahaha! That is so freaking funny! I love it. Next year he should Cosplay as an Ewok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. And that face! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And may the Fourth be with you as well! (Beware the Revenge of the Fifth tomorrow...)

    Saw this Wookiee pet on Twitter today. It's a little realistically creepy unlike Walnut, who is completely adorable! Love the sash and that drinking straws must die. =)

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. HE IS TOO CUTE!!!
    Omg! That fluffy belleh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant!! Thank you for making my May 4th fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delurking to say WOW Walnut's face when he's staring down that straw! That is one intent cat! Also May the 4th be with you and your marvellous blog. Thank you for sharing your inspiring creativity and geekery (and Walnut's antics!) with us padawans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please may I come and visit your cat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agh, so cute. I love Walnut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it!!! You know tomorrow is...(ok- it's today where I am already- I'm up late) Revenge of the Fifth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Walnut is one gorgeous kitty and a perfect Chewie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, you have to be kidding me with how cute that is! You are so damn creative. Walnut will conquer the evil straw Empire, one straw-saber at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the one with his mouth open! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. May the fourth be with you! I LOVE the straw attack...so freakin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looking at the last two pics, i see there are two *pokie-up* things that look almost like antenna growing out of walnut's neck ... it's my eyesight, i'm sure, but ... it's so cute looking ... walnut is the most serious cat i've seen .... love your blog ... i bought a dragon ear cuff b/c of you, and i'm not your *usual* dragon-ear-cuff-user ... maybe a granddaughter or two would *consider* it .... but ... my hubbs sez, *buy it; i love it* ... so this gramma of 13 did ... LOL LOL LOL ... darlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could actually hear him doing the Chewie growl thing during those action shots. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL!!!!!!!!!! This. Is. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Star Wars and Walnut? Adorable! I have kitty jealousy so hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woah, this is just too awesome. Woooookkkkiiiiieeeee! Your action shots are marvelous.
    Also, I love finding out other cats' mortal enemies. The Orange Terror is cool with straws, but he's intensely distrustful of helium balloons (they fall UP!) and the cloth swiffer-mop-thing pad (when it's inert on the floor in a pile of rags, only, not when it's actually mopping).
    Oh, and I have to say that I'm so happy that the internets now contain a tutorial for how to make a Wookie bandolier for a cat. The world just got a little more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhhh, I love it! I was just showing my boyfriend (a HUGE Star Wars fan) your SW dresses the other day and he was lamenting that I couldn't make one in time for May the Fourth. I wonder what SW critter I could turn our black and brown dog into? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cat is very cute... and very patient (my childhood cat would have done his best to behead me if I had tried to put any clothes on him- trust me, I only tried once). And a stealthy-straw-killer-ninja-cat. It's a new thing all the hipsters are talking about. Ninja-cats that will take down the straws of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.