Sunday, February 24, 2013

Shieldmaiden-ing It Up


There's not much else to say about my Eowyn outfit, since I've already talked at length about both my inspiration and my process here. I don't have an exact final count for hours used, though I'll guess that it was about forty hours total, including the belt-making and all. I'm so excited about how the whole thing looks and moves! I made Mr. Cation do a mini photo shoot with me up on the roof of the parking structure...it's the closest we're going to get to a wide open, uncluttered space here in TCOCC. Seriously, there are not enough halls like Meduseld in this city. This is a sore lack that needs to be remedied immediately. Despite the lack of Rohirric architecture, I still managed to end up with waaay too many photos I liked; choosing just a few for this blog post was so difficult!

Mr. Cation tried really hard not to let any modern vehicles make it into these photos. I really liked this one, though, because the wind caught my sleeve at just the right time. 
I seriously can't get over how much I like these sleeves.
There's a slight train at the back of the very full skirt. 
I am so pleased with this outfit!

Tomorrow's Oscar party will hopefully be epic! I'm just bummed that The Hobbit isn't up for more awards. In the meantime, though, I'll entertain a fool's hope that somebody with Hollywood costume connections will see my costume and hire me to work on a something!

A closer look at the lacing strips at the back and the cording. 

I really like the pointy sleeve detail. The pattern actually called for the lower sleeve to be lined, but that would've made for six layers of fabric at the seam where the bell sleeve and lower sleeve join the upper sleeve, so I decided to do away with the lining. I ended up totally reshaping the sleeve to fit my arm, since the original pattern was super loose and long. 

My lingerie strap holder and hand-overcast sleeve seam allowance. Thanks to all of you who suggested solutions for getting the wide neckline to stay in place!
I added a pair of cable ties to the lacing strips to keep them from bunching up. You can also see the necklace clasp I used to join the belt at the back. 

My simbelmyne-ish Forever 21 necklace! I forgot to put in the matching earrings for this shoot, though. 

I'm pretty sure this dress wins for the most satisfying thing I've ever made. It's rare that something turns out exactly as one hopes, but somehow this hit all the marks, both budget-wise and matching-up-with-my-imagination-wise. And because a full skirt like this just begs for twirling...





I'm sorry that this is such a picture heavy post, but I just like this dress so much!

It flaps around so satisfyingly as I march into the sunset. 
Off to kill the Witch King of Angmar...see you all post-Oscar party! 


45 comments:

  1. It turned out beautifully. You should be very proud of all the work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! I really like the short hair + LOTR-style dress combo by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is even more awesome striding into the sunset. You look amazing in this, I hope all viewers at the party are suitably stunned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is gorgeous! With a horse and the wide, hilly landscape of Rohan, you would be a real shieldmaiden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your dress turned out amazing! soooo frigging beautiful! i made myself medieval gown couple of years ago, but as i'm a lazy one, there was not too much effort put in that project (i even put the invisible zipper at the back hehe), and i loved it and wore it anyways

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzers!!!! This is absolutely amazing! I, too, love those sleeves, and the colours, and the swishiness... It's fabulous! Have a brilliant night, and I challenge anybody to have a dress that is half as great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous, and the fit looks like it's spot-on! Those sleeves are amazing. (Also, you're making me want to pull out my green Eowyn-inspired dress and go play outside. And the world definitely needs more Rohirric architecture.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress! Those sleeves are EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Now I can believe that dreams do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is amazing and absolutely gorgeous on you! the whole thing looks so well finished. enjoy the oscar party, no doubt you'll be the best dressed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in a swoon over this!!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in a swoon over this!!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunning! I absolutely want one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful young woman in a beautiful dress: i'm fuzzy on the timeline here but i'm thinking you probably travelled with marco polo when he made his trip to elvish places..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I agree with you - the sleeves are A.Maze.Ing! I love your dress so much and it is even better on you than it was on your dress form in previous posts!

    Come for a visit to Texas, and I'll see what I can do to get you some real time as a costumer. I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble taking you to work for a few days - and they'd probably want to "keep" you. =)

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a totally fabulous dress! I wish it would come back into fashion - and stay there! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dress! And the sleeves are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, wow, wow! I love the pictures that show your dress in motion, it really looks magical.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You and your dress look absolutely magical! It shows in your face how much you love it. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great time at The One Expected Party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - totally stunning! Have a great time at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, so jealous! I would wear this all the time. In fact, I think you should wear it to work. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I am so impressed - it's gorgeous! Enjoy the party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. AWESOMENESS!!! This looks absolutely spot on and what an amazing fit! Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That dress is amazing, and you look gorgeous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhhhhh this is so amazing! I especially love the back. LOVE. You've inspired me yet again. I might have to try costume making! This is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous! Yet another fantastic costume, this one up to red carpet standard! I love the sleeves, neckline and total swish factor. On your sylph like figure it looks amazing. Congratulations on yet anothe awesome creation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. P.S. The design would make a stunning wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fit and design and sleeves are all so crazy spot on, I wish you still had The Game to complete the shieldmaiden ensemble. You should totally find a nice field/castle and make Lynn do a photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is one amazing dress! You look magnificent. I'm so very jealous! But...I think I have a costume pattern similar so maybe you've inspired me for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  31. BEEAUTIFUL!!! All the pictures were great! What a lovely job you did! The fit looks great and the whole package looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Yeah! Stunning! It is everything it should be and more!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is amazing!! I love those sleeves - so dramatic. You're sure to be best-dressed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is beyond words. It is stunning. Perfectly beautiful. Just amazing. I could gush for hours. Your workmanship is impeccable as well, what amazing fit and the sleeves are droolworthy. I hope you have/had a wonderful time at the party and got all the kudos you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! This is so dramatic and fun! I love the way the wind creates movement in the sleeves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL!! I want to make a dress like this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. STUNNING! Those sleeves really are amazing, and the gold details on the green is such a lovely combination :) Well done, and by the way, I ADORE your hair. ADORE!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This dress is wonderful. Right now I'm making a dress inspired in your project and I've included a picture and a link to this post. I hope you don't mind. Just let me know otherwise. My post link is http://cationdesigns.blogspot.com.es/2013/02/shieldmaiden-ing-it-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ups, sorry, I meant http://elenaknits.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/more-than-15-years-later/

    I need some more sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi there! What is this pattern? I am looking for how to make the pointy sleeves! Your dress is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your costumes are amazing! AH! It's so refreshing to read all these posts about a fellow LOTR-obsessed sewist. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.