Saturday, February 9, 2013

It's Too Late for Jungle January

[source]
Story of my life:
  1. Read/hear about an awesome thing.
  2. Get all excited about it. Can't stop thinking about it for the next three nights. 
  3. OOOH LOOK OVER THERE! Distracted by a new idea.
  4. A month later, realize that the deadline for the awesome thing passed a week ago. 
  5. Get all disappointed, lament my lack of organization when it comes to creative things. Keep trying to tell myself that I'm a J on the Myers-Briggs personality test, really I am! 
  6. Execute a half-assed version of my original idea. 
  7. Swear to do better with planning next time. 
Trying out the angry/I hate you/constipated look that models always seem to have. 

That's what happened to me with Pretty Grievances' Jungle January. I had grand ideas for another qipao based on this one that I've had pinned for ages. It was going to be the perfect multi-tasking sewing project -- it would use up a piece of stash fabric from four years ago, work as my new outfit for Chinese New Year, and fit with the Jungle January theme. Alas, corset-making got the better of me, and here I am, over a week into February and it's a simple dress that's not at all qipao-ish and only very vaguely reminiscent of the original inspiration dress. To top it all off, Mr. Cation didn't even like it very much. Ah well, I can't always win.

[ETA: Mr. Cation insisted that I clarify -- he doesn't actually dislike the dress. He was merely surprised when he first saw it because the lighting was bad and it's not my usual kind of print. It looks much better in natural lighting, and while it's not his favorite thing I've ever made, he doesn't dislike it either. My apologies, husband, for unjustly exposing your sartorial judgement to internet censure.]

Still working on the angry look, apparently. The sun glare was making it difficult to smile and look normal.
Better, if a bit squinty. 
Even better: facing away from the setting sun. 
Twirling to show off the movement and flare of the skirt. 

Summary:
Pattern: A modified version of my free bias-cut top pattern, but with the lines extended down and out to make the flared skirt. I was hoping for a floor-length maxi dress, but bias-cut garments just eat up fabric like no other, so it ended up being tea-length. The best thing about reusing old patterns is you already know they fit, and if it's a self-drafted pattern, it's already all adjusted for swayback and fleshy underarms and everything!
Fabric: 3 yards of 54" wide purple leopard-ish print rayon, stashed since 2009, originally from SAS Fabrics in Tucson. I loved the watercolor look of the spots when I saw it, but at the time I knew that my skills weren't good enough to do it justice. I'm glad I waited to use it.
Notions: Just seam binding, no zippers or buttons or snaps! I knew I wanted to avoid putting any closures in this thin fabric, as a zipper would just be too stiff for the drape of the rayon. Thanks to the bias-cut, I can just slip this over my head. I really, really, really love not putting closures into dresses. When I'm putting zippers into dresses, it's really not that bad, but then I make a dress like this and it becomes blindingly obvious that no zippers is even better.

My insides look so pretty!

Techniques: Making bias tape from the fabric and using it to bind the neck and arm holes. My favorite method for nice finishes on rayon.
Hours used: Three. It was easy enough to sew, but trying to squeeze the pattern pieces onto my limited fabric required some serious Tetris skills. Even so, the grainline on one of the back pieces is more like 39 degrees, instead of the 45 degrees of a true bias-cut.
Will you make this again? Not as a tea-length dress. I feel like it's a really awkward length, and it reminds me too much of the 80s and its weird dress lengths. I may try it as a knee-length dress, but then I would lose the fantastic flare at the bottom, and a maxi dress would require five yards of fabric...yikes!
Total cost: $8, if that. Yay for discount fabrics! Besides, it's been in the stash so long, it feels free.
Final thoughts: Bias-cut garments eat fabric like hungry hungry hippos, but it's so worth it for the drape they provide and the fact that they can pass the Mena Test. Mr. Cation and I both agreed that the leopard print is actually kind of distracting and not really my style, and I'm afraid that the print+length brings the dress into the matronly/cougar-y category. Still, it twirls well and is comfortable, so it'll be fine for lounging around in and going English country dancing. And a wearable garment is always better than stash fabric just sitting around, taking up space.

Okay, they're right, it's pretty difficult trying to walk straight and not trip on my blog heels.  The concentrating face is totally necessary. 

I will say that I'm immensely proud of myself, though, for breaking free of my usual pattern for the Jane Austen Evening. I planned ahead for that event, executed both ideas for dresses fairly well, and was even done early enough that I wasn't frantically sewing on trim five minutes before getting dressed. Let's hope that my ideas for the Hobbit Oscar party follow that timeline and not this one. Things are looking pretty good, though, as the major parts of my shieldmaiden gown are done; it's just the closure, embellishments, and hemming left now!

45 comments:

  1. This is not matronly or cougarish! I actually love this length on you and think it looks elegant and sophisticated without being evening. The leopard is one of the nicest I've seen and I like leopard. The flare is beautiful too. No, sorry, you haven't convinced me, I think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with acharm above - it's much more in the sophisticated realm; neither matronly nor cougarly. And I love the length on you as well!

    I admit that I'm not that crazy about non-leopard colors in leopard prints, but that's strictly a personal taste thing - I think this print looks great on you. Wear it out and about; I think you'll get plenty of positive comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this dress looks stunning on you. I love all of the movement that pattern and the cut create, too. (And I love your new hair length!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an INTJ too ;-) the bits in that link describe me to a T

    Love the dress - despite then length. You could take it up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous dress - from another INTJ'er!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is perfect for some Latin dancing!! It looks like a win to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks fabulous! It's very flattering and twirly! The length kind of makes it look fancy I think. Then again everyone needs a vaguely fancy dress for those days you just feel a little fancy but don't really have any reason to dress up. Right? Is that just me? I also wanted to say I love that little cartoon; that's just exactly how I feel pretty much all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I think it's fab and the print is really lovely. Very elegant. Liking the new hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress. I'm same like you about ideas and executing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the cool J peeps need to hang out- there is something about sewing that throws my normal organisation skills out the window so I so understand! Loving the flare in the skirt and the print is sensational... And may I say- check you and your fierce model poses out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dress and you look lovely in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great! I love how it twirls too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It might not feel like your style, but I think that dress really suits you and looks super-flattering! Do you think you'll make the same pattern again in a different fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your dress. I'm totally in love with the print and the length fits you well, I'm jealous I could never pull that off. And jour new hair length ils great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm wailing and gnashinmg my teeth about you making the safari truck- but could I ask you to attend our 'Spotted Carpet wrap up event'? It's currently running!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I thought I was reading about myself at the beginning there with the great idea. Plan it out, get distracted by something else, etc. That's all I do. Too funny.

    Your dress is beautiful and you look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great style on you. It is beautiful, flattering, and very sophisticated. I love this. I may have to see if I can adapt your bias cut pattern for me! Great job, and who cares about deadlines?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's gorgeous! And that is a beautiful leopard print.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the tea length. The bias cut gives the hem such a great flare. Looks like the back almost has a bit of a train. What if you over dyed the dress? For some reason I could see the print more subdued with less contrast, like dyeing it dark purple or something

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is really beautiful!The bias works so wonderfully with the light fabric. And the print is great too, not at all matronly, even though I'm rarely a fan of animal prints :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to have to disagree with mr Cation on this one! I think this is really elegant and fierce! I love it! I hope you'll do a tutorial about how you extended the pattern into a dress? I love the shape of the hem!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your shoes keep it from being matronly - I like the silhouette and overall look on you! I cheat the grain a lot too. For some reason I have a habit of picking stash yardage for projects that are just a little too small for what I'm making - there is an art to ekeing, hehe.

    And oh my gosh! That comic! I need to hang a copy of that in my sewing room! My brain is always moving faster than I can actually execute the ideas and they all like to run around when I'm trying to sleep!

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy new year! Hope you had a great celebration in your lovely dress - I love the drape!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Psh, what does Eric know? I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahahaha, did I write this? I do the exact same thing-- I get so excited and want to participate in something, but I'm a terrible at managing time and deadlines. I'm definitely not a J! :) But I love you in animal prints! I know that I would be more comfortable in a shorter length, but you're totally pulling it off.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, your dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry, I agree with everyone else...it is a fabulous dress. The fit is beautiful on you, it looks like v v expensive rtw, and the print on the bias is just perfect. Aw Sum.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the length - do more, not less, like this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the purple-touched fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wait, what? This is a 'half-assed' dress? Husband doesn't like this? I don't want to alarm you but you should probably send him to a doctor, stat. Honestly this is one of my favourite things you've ever made! The fabric is soooo cool. The shape is so feminine and beautiful, and on a side-note your hair is rocking. The mob has spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i think you're not giving yourself enough credit on the print OR the length. it's definitey something different, and maybe not something you'd eve try again, but i think it is really flattering, feminine and i actually love the length! maybe one way to go on it if the length is bothering you is to go all mullet on it and shorten it in the front. but that back length is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is the best cartoon ever. And I am another less-than-organised J too. Thank you - it's up on the wall now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! It doesn't look half assed at all! It's really flattering and the print is great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The dress is stunning. Personally, I am not a fan of animal prints but this dress proves they can look good. The dress looks stunning on you and is far more practical than a full length dress. It will dress up or down depending on time of day. Dress. hair and cute shoes pull the whole thing together + great twirl factor! I agree with Donna, more suited to Latin dancing than Enlish Country dancing. However, great for getting a pint at the Rovers Return!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it! The style, the print, everything. And I don't think it's cougar-y at all.

    ReplyDelete
  36. so, i was going to be rude and then i decided to step away but now i'm back. with original intent:

    ARE YOU TWO BLIND.

    love, oona

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really like the dress. I think it looks very nice on you length and all. I like the new haircut too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that fabric! LOVE IT!

    I know that the back of the skirt has a cool inset-swingy-ness about it... but couldn't you just hem it to knee length? I bet you'd like it better if you felt more comfortable about the length. You can't let that fabric sit in your closet without being worn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think it looks great on you, the length doesn't bother me at all!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's great how you were able to get that length bias cut dress from your stash. Dress looks awesome. I can relate to your thoughts, I too am a J on the M-B and a also a creative but get distracted by shiny new objects. It does feel satisfying to finish things though.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is really pretty, Cindy, and only 3 hours - that's uber impressive!!! DEFINITELY agree it would be sooooo fabulous as a maxi though - although I completely sympathize with the horror fabric hogging patterns induce lol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  42. This dress is gorgeous and fits your perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! There's so much to love about this dress - the fabric, the style, the length! GORGEOUS

    ReplyDelete
  44. Bah - who cares about deadlines anyway. They never did anything nice for us! This dress is drop-drool-dead-worthy gorgeous. The swishyness. The length. The svelte figure you cut in it. The animalism print. I'm loving it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.