Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January Stashbusting: Itty Bits Link Party!

I know I promised more pictures of the Jane Austen ball, but I suddenly realized that January is drawing to an end, which also means that all you stashbusters should be wrapping up your projects involving scrap fabric! Of course, if you've been just doing your own thing, that's fine too, but for those of us who need direction in our sewing, January was supposed to be the month of using pieces of fabric that were less than a yard. I made a few pouches and a mountain range, and Emily sewed up some delightfully adorable pocket playsets! Seriously, nine year old me would have been all over these, so if you haven't checked out her scrapbusting blog post yet, you should do so!

Rather than having Emily and I go poking all over the sewing blogiverse looking for your stashbusting projects, we've decided on having a link party at the end of each month for you all to link up your creations. We'll highlight our favorites, but you should still check out what your fellow sewasauruses have been up to and leave some friendly encouragement. Remember, it takes a village to bust a stash!

[ETA: If you haven't finished your project or haven't taken pictures yet, don't worry! You've got until Sunday night to link up your pictures! Also, when you fill out the "name" section, put the name of your project, not your own name.]



Oh, and if you're wondering what's up with the February LOVE CHALLENGE, here's the deal:
  • This month's theme is sewing something for a loved one -- a family member, a friend, a pet, a favorite piece of furniture (j/k). Much as I love the Selfish Seamstress, sometimes it's good to remember that we can use our skills to the benefit of others. 
  • Any month that says CHALLENGE means that if you sew along with our theme, you can enter your finished project in a contest! We'll all vote on our favorite makes and you'll get bragging rights and a tiny prize. And we promise that the prizes aren't just pieces from our stashes that we want to get rid of!  ^__~
  • If you don't want to enter this challenge, there's always the Vibrant Color Challenge in April or the Knits Challenge in May!
  • To actually qualify for the contest, your entry must be made in the month of February, using mostly stash fabric (notions like buttons or elastic or interfacing can be purchased new). 
  • Near the end of February, I'll be hosting another link party where you can link up your projects, and then we can get to the voting and picking our favorites! We'll announce the winner the first week of March.  
As always, if you don't want to follow along with our theme, that's fine, just know that you won't be eligible for the contest. But hey, the important thing is that stash fabric is being used up in any way possible!

15 comments:

  1. I better get my post up before the party ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got some time, so don't worry about rushing it!

      Delete
  2. :) A chance to show off my cushion from my stash fabrics!
    http://sallysewssometing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/patchwork-cushion-for-me.html

    I've another stash project in progress too... should have it finished today/tomorrow. Can I add another linky later? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ah - just spotted the little link button.... Then managed to enter my name instead of the project name! Duh! Have just deleted and re-linked... :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm so talented! I just linked up my (very literal) itty bit scrap link... And where it said name, I put my name not my project name! I see someone else made the same mistake though, so now I don't feel like so much of a loser! haha. I think I better delete it and have another go :)

    Thanks for hosting such a fun sewalong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I did that too, the first link party I participated in!

      Delete
  4. Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've never seen a link-up like that. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm totally impressed and excited to see all the projects with images. What is this magical tool?

      Delete
    2. The link widget is done through inlinkz.com, which makes it so easy! You just tell them how many columns, how large of a thumbnail, how long you want it up, etc., and they spit out code!

      Delete
  5. I just posted mine on my blog today but made them last month, I hope it's OK to share it anyway. It was literally eked out of the smallest scrap possible so it was scrap busting to the extreme, I just happened to make it before you announced the challenge. I wouldn't cheat if there were a contest involved, like next month, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine! It's good to have more ideas about how to use those tiny scraps!

      Delete
  6. Perhaps it's cheating because I didn't finish, but oh well. I'd rather be ambitious than on time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to have a monthly link party! You guys are the bestest of hosts;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely things in this link party! And those pocket worlds are divine and I want them. Even though I don't have SHBs, or even any SHBs to give them to. Will make some anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.