Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Cat Print Fabric Inspiration


I'm so excited that so many of you are in on the Put A Cat on It! sew along! It's gratifying to know that I'm not the only one obsessed with representing my love of cats in my sewing.

To that end, let's take a look at some of the fabulous cat-print fabrics that you can get from our wonderful sponsors. First, Feline Dezine, which specializes in cat fabrics:

I love these gorgeous Japanese watercolor cats. They've all got names!


Two of my favorite colors to wear are gray and red, so I may or may not have squealed when I saw this print. I've purchased a few yards of these cutesy cats to make a fun dress.


That said, I almost bought these adorable little fuzzballs instead:



I have a soft spot in my heart for derpy-looking animals, so these noseless, goofy-looking cats make me laugh so hard. I think they'd make for great pajamas.


If those aren't sophisticated enough for you, there are also these hipster cats in Paris:



And lest you fear that none of these fabrics truly represents the terrible helper aspect of a cat's personality, there's always these Michael Miller bad kitties:


As far as I can tell, Feline Dezine mostly has 100% cotton fabrics that would be most suitable for quilts and non-drapey apparel, like my favorite fit-and-flare 50s dress silhouette. If you'd like to be able to sew something drapier, though, or more hardy (canvas tote bags?), or more fuzzy (cat blanket?), you can always select a design to be printed on the fabric of your choice at Spoonflower. I love that they print their fabric in the US, and there's also the option of choosing fabrics that are entirely manufactured in the US. I've poked through their many, many cat designs and chosen some of my favorites to show you here.

As a chemistry teacher, I of course am a fan of Schrodinger's Cat:



And as a teacher who believes strongly in the importance of reading, these library cats are a combination of two of the finest things in life:



And as a person who likes stunt dressing, I am seriously tempted by these slightly creepy staring cats -- how awesome of a novelty print dress would this be!



This cat butt print is too funny! There's also a matching cat fronts print by the same designer...imagine a top where the front is the cat front print, and the back is the cat butts!


Okay, let's get serious here. What if you need some more classy, sober cat prints? I like how this print looks like normal polka dots from far away, but up close you see that some of the dots are actually cats!



And if that's still not sophisticated enough, there's always these lovely line drawings. I think they'd make for a nice silky shell that would go with all colors of cardigan.



Lastly, a print perfect for SHB: so that I can make him a cat shirt that's not pink and covered in bows:



What do you think? Would you wear any of these prints? Or am I just a little too over the top in my willingness to proclaim my crazy cat lady status? Of course, if none of these strike your fancy, you can always print your own fabric with stamps!


7 comments:

  1. oh boy, you are doing a mighty good job at this promo!! I am usually notone to participate in social sewing (I just want to do what i want) and those fabric (esp the butt and pokadot one) are mighty tempting. the cat front/back fabric would be amazing for a quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sew along cracks me up. I love your hand printed fabric! Alas, Halloween costume for Taco and a few more practical projects for work are keeping me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Erin's (misscrayolacreepy) Crazy Cat Lady Challenge from last year? You should check it out if you have a minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I'm not participating in the catalong, but I may have to get some of those fabrics! I love the idea of getting some cat-printed canvas to make a gift tote for some cat-loving relatives this Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tilly and the Buttons just linked to this fabric: https://www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/sewing-patchwork/fabric/tiger-lily-lawn-marching-cats-in-pink , which I think would be a lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect cat fabrics and sometimes they are hard to find here. Your fabrics are amazing. I also love Laurel Burch cat fabrics for their colour and always carry a Laurel Burch handbag. One day I might even make something with my cat fabrics. Of course I own a real cat and am well on my way to becoming 'crazy cat lady.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeeeeek!!! I'm totally geeking out and imagining my whole cat-themed wardrobe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.