|My attempt to make sunny TCOCC look all moody and wintry. |
Do the ravens help? If PicMonkey had wolves, I would've added those instead.
|I love the fullness at the bottom. I have fond feelings for this mermaid-style because it's the same as my wedding dress.|
This dress came about as a result of my husband's request that I make another maxi dress, plus my own stashbusting quest. This poly-spandex/Lycra fabric has been sitting in the stash for over two years, and has been a source of despair every time I looked into my bin of knit fabrics. I bought this for about twice what I normally pay for knits, and it's not even natural fibers! I blame the fact that I was pretty depressed about my previous teaching job and would prescribe myself retail therapy in the form of haunting the thrift store that was on my way home. On the day that I bought this fabric, I'd had a particularly crappy day, and an hour of browsing the women's, housewares, and shoes sections had yielded nothing. To salvage the wasted time, I brought home the likeliest piece of fabric I could dig up. At the time, I thought it was dramatic and beautiful. I still think it's beautiful, in a "I'm pretending to be a snow leopard in a blizzard" sort of way, but it's so dramatic that it pretty much had to be made into a full-length dress. And I only wear maxi dresses in the summer, so sleeveless it is!
|Check out the Friday afternoon traffic before Carmageddon II!|
Even though I liked my previous maxi dress just fine, I didn't want to just do the same thing. Flipping through my Patterns of Fashion 2, I came across this dress on the very last page:
I liked that it was totally something one could wear today, and in a jersey to boot! I decided to try my own version, but without the ridiculous ruching up the middle. I'm sorry, but I think it looks silly. Yes, I just called a Schiaparelli dress silly. I'll just step away from the keyboard now and wait to be struck by lightning.
Here's how I made the pattern:
After cutting and sewing my dress, I did still have to make tweaks to get the exact fit that I wanted, but the diagram above is a good starting point.
Fabric: 2.5 yards of some kind of poly-spandex stretchy knit with excellent recovery, thanks to all the artificial fibers...
Techniques: Lynda Maynard's V-neck knit binding technique
Hours used: 2.5. Have I mentioned enough how much I love working with knits?
Will you make this again? No, I don't think I need too many dramatic maxi dresses. Between this and Mucha, I think my wardrobe is good for now.
Total cost: $8
Final thoughts: This is a pretty impractical dress that I doubt will get much wear, much like my prom dress, but it makes my husband happy, and I've cleaned out a pretty big piece of fabric from the stash. It's fun for swanning about the house, but the whole look doesn't really fit anything I do/go to these days, so I've told Mr. Cation that he needs to take me somewhere where this dress wouldn't be out of place. As it is, we got lots of weird looks going up to the top floor of the parking structure for pictures, and then fetching the mail afterwards!
|It's good for twirling though. There's been a lot of twirling in my life these days.|
And now that I've finished my husband's request, I can do a 180 and make something totally different!