Saturday, April 21, 2012

Changes Are Afoot!

I'm in San Francisco yet again, for yet another wedding, and it is but a preview of this summer's madness. Wait, what? Didn't you just move to TCOCC not too long ago? Yes, yes I did. Well, and guess what, we're moving back to the city in June! My husband has a summer internship in downtown SF, doing who knows what (wearing suits? sitting in a skyscraper? getting to eat lunch at the Ferry Building every day?!), so we're moving our clothes and Walnut up to my parents' house for a few months. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure! I haven't lived at home for so long (since high school); it'll be interesting to see what it's like being a married adult, but back under a parental roof. But, as we do hope to relocate to the Bay Area eventually for the long term, this is the way to go for the summer, and it's hard to argue with free rent.

So what does that mean, practically speaking? I excel at making lists when it comes to moving, so here goes:
  1. Walnut will have a very long, torturous car ride, then two other firmly established family cats to deal with. Fenxi, the older cat, already has issues with our younger cat, Gummy (Fenxi's kindergarten report card would have the dreaded unsatisfactory "U" under the "getting along with others" category), so Walnut, who is larger than either of them, will be an interesting wrench in the mix.
  2. I can finally meet some of the other sewists who live in NorCal! I'm excited for potential meet-ups with Sew Weekly or VPLL 1912 Project people. That said, who wants to be my sewing buddy while I'm up here for the summer? I can promise lots of awkward interactions sprinkled with way too many comments about cats! Wow, I really know how to sell myself, don't I? 
  3. I can make my mom help me with sewing something other than dresses. She claims to not remember anything, but I'm pretty sure that's a lie. 
  4. I'm excited to hang out with my family again. I've been far from home for so much of the last ten years, so it'll be nice (I hope) to be around them again on a daily basis. 
  5. I will live a block away from Elaine again! We used to run over to each others' houses all the time in high school, and now we are doing it again a decade and half later...gaaah, we're old! Speaking of getting old, two of my former students (from the first chemistry class I ever taught) just got engaged to each other this month...part of me is so happy for them, part of me wants to grab them by the shoulders and shake them and demand "HOW ARE YOU EVEN OLD ENOUGH?! WEREN'T YOU 15 JUST THE OTHER DAY?" Umm, anyway, Elaine and I are planning all sorts of dress-up parties, because goodness knows, there aren't enough days in the year for dressing up. We're already planning a pirate party and a Downton Abbey party. Who wants to come? I promise, Elaine is much better at social interaction than I am. 
  6. I am going to be separated from my stash for over two months. My mom has her machine, and I'll probably bring some fabric and patterns with me, but it'll be different. I know the vagaries and idiosyncrasies of my own machine (should I name it?), and of course I'll miss Cecily and all her help. 
  7. I'm sure there are other things, but that's what comes to mind for now. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts as the time draws nearer. 
Oh wait, one other change: I'll have more cats to help with the sewing.

Oooh, what's this? Can I help?
I like this new crinkly cat bed. I accept your humble offering.
 And yes, I brought new patterns up with me so I could cut them out in case I got bored. 

13 comments:

  1. San Fran will be great! You'll have to check out FabMo and join the Meet Up group: http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Sewists/. I'd love to have the excuse to see my fellow Bay Area Sewing Bloggers more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so excited that there's a Bay Area Sewists group! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Walnut will do fine, I take Spot with me on 8 hour car trips when I visit my parents. She just sleeps most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that Spot will just sleep! Walnut will cry. The entire time. When we drove to LA he sounded like he was being tortured the whole 2.5 hours. I really, really, really want to hope he'll fall asleep this time, because that was a pretty heart-wrenching drive.

      Delete
  3. Promise you will keep blogging cos I look forward to your posts everyday. No joking.

    I have an aunty in SanFran, she a Buddhist monk, she lives at one of the temples in SanFran somewhere.

    Hrm, wonder how Walnut is going to adjust?? Hopefully all three of them can be friends :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you're so sweet, Neeno! I will keep blogging for sure! Any chance you'll be visiting your aunt this summer? ;) I really want the three of them to be friends, but I'm not holding my breath...

      Delete
  4. Shopping ... Britex, Stone Mountain ... That is how you manage without stay. We can't have you going through withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! The last time I lived in the city, I hadn't discovered sewing yet, so it'll be nice to go fabric-shop-exploring!

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited to be living near each other again, if only for a few months! It's funny how remarkably similar our situations will be, what with the living downstairs at parents' place just for the summer with partner and cat(s). Silliness!

    I also can't wait for all our parties! I do hope more people than just us want to join. Were we gonna do a LOTR one, as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were we going to? Let's do it! And yes, it would be more fun if more people joined. We'll work on that.

      Delete
  6. Oooh...how long will you be in SF for? Because I'm probably going to be there for a bit at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept, and would love to meet you in person!

    Good luck to Walnut. I hope he handles cars better than Felicity! And I hope he handles other cats as well as she does. She stayed with my in-laws and their two cats for a bit once and had the other cats firmly under her paw in less than an hour ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just moved to SF and I've yet to get my machine set up (desks with drawers are hard to find for cheap! Especially small ones that fit in my apartment) so needless to say I'm feeling sewing deprived. You don't know me (obviously) but I promise I'm not creepy and I'd really love a sewing buddy, especially one that created something as awesome as the sewasaurus rex and makes dresses out of cartoon sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! My kitty loves sewing, too. Pattern time, especially. Things can get a little outta hand, though...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.